Favorite Instruction Set?

Hmmm....

Good question, but like most, everyone will have an opinion... Mine for example, is RSLogix 5 it has everything I ever needed and more...

I'm asking because programming on the FX series made me realize that instruction set really makes a big difference in the overall experience.

I only have experience with (and wouldn't call myself master of any of them):
AB 500 Series (SLC & Micrologix)
AD 405
Mitsu FX series
Opto22
I worked with Opto22 for a couple of years about 12 years back and I just loved its Cyrano Flowchart-based programming system. You could literally take your flowchart and program it straight in. Try doing that with any normal PLC and you fall flat on your face! I know, I've done it often enough!

Have used

Hitachi
Mitsubishi
SLC500 (would like to try Control Logix)
Omron (just about all)
GE 90-30
Sprechur & Schuh
NAIS
Siemens S7
Schneider Twido and TSX Premium
IDEC

Fiddler with all, master of none but closer to master with Omron.

I reckon the 560 odd instructions (inc. 64 bit Floating Point!)supported by the Omron CS / CJ series has to be a favourite. That's on top of the Structured Text support now offered.
Just my 2 bobsworth

Agreed and it has function block.

Oh yeah, if you do OMRON you really need to get CX-ONE as it flat out rocks.

Definately.

My favourite instruction set used to be the PC20 one (Philips), because it had only 31 different instructions. So the learning curve was very smooth and I knew all instructions in no time at all. Drawbacks were: it was all instruction list, every timer and counter had to be constructed out of those basic instructions, every program had to be drawn up on beforehand on the drawing board otherwise you couldn't follow any structure at all....

Nowadays I use primarily Simatic S7-300, Simatic S5, Allen-Bradley SLC5/03 and Allen-Bradley CompactLogix. Although these instructions sets are much larger, I do prefer these. Primarily because you can program them in ladder, which makes everything much clearer, even for non-trained maintenance people.
Bottom line: I prefer the ones I already know, because I'm used to them.

Kind regards,