Festo Profinet help !

Mr_3D_Print

Working with a Siemens PLC, I have to replace a bad Festo valve bank Profinet adapter with part number: CTEU-PN

I am very comfortable with Ethernet-IP but I don't know how Profinet works at all. Can I please get some direction on how to make the replacement ? I am googling some stuff but not clear exactly where to start. :confused:

With a Ethernet/IP, all I have to do is find out the IP address on the original device, and apply it to the new one, and maybe add some configuration details.

Thank you!

Hello and welcome to the forum.
Addressing for Profinet IO devices is mostly done through something called DCP (Discovery and configuration protocol, not to be confused with the very close acronym of DHCP). Certainly for Siemens PLC, this is the case, I mean, using DCP to configure the remote IO.

There is no need to configure IP address in the Profinet IO device. The IP settings are stored in the TIA portal program and at connection initialization the Siemens PLC will set the IP address through DCP. DCP protocol is based on MAC address.

In the TIA Portal program you will see on the left side the list of Profinet IO devices of the project. Every device has a unique device name in the project. You have to make sure that the device you are about to replace has the same part number and in the case of flexible remote IOs, that the modules are connected in the same order as in the original device. You need to use a tool such as PRONETA (freely available on the Siemens site) or the Profnet Commander (https://profinetcommander.com/download/), both of which support DCP, to set the actual device name for the new device that you need to replace, which will almost certainly have a different device name. Hope this helps.