Festo upload issues

geniusintraining

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Glad the site is working again... I have a customer having issues with a Festo and I have never worked with them, see below

Worked through getting an old Festo GSDML file.

Then I ran into an issue trying to upload a copy of the program.

“the consistent fail-safe upload is not enabled for this online device. either the online device doesn't support fail-safe upload or the appropriate setting in the safety administration editor is not active and downloaded”

This aborts the upload of the project from the controller. From quick googling, it appears as though an issue as it is an F-CPU and the safety program is blocking the upload? Is this something you have run into before?

Also, do you or anyone you’ve worked with know a way around this fault to get an upload? Or can it be copied from the SD-Card?

Siemens v17 F-CPU upload issue

(geniusintraining) has be trying to help me out on a Siemens issue for a customer, I am new to the site and figured I could try to clarify and see what help anyone could provide.

I actually found the older gsdml file for the Festo device I needed to install to get the upload to stop aborting on the Festo issue.

However the only persistent issue is the fault below, I believe due to the F-CPU.

Fault:

"the consistent fail-safe upload is not enabled for this online device. either the online device doesn't support fail-safe upload or the appropriate setting in the safety administration editor is not active and downloaded"

Is there a workaround to get an upload or will only only be able to work with the program online.

I am not new to Siemens, but it has been a good 5 years since I was more familiar. I have been living the Rockwell life pretty consistent at my current job. Any help would be appreciated, and if a "not possible" is the answer, that is acceptable as well no one wants to waste resources to chase something that has already been shot down due to cost/reward.

I have worked through the Festo issue.

PLC Info:

Simatic ET 200SP
V2.8.3
5ES7510-1SJ01-OABO
CPU 1510SP F-1 PN

The fundamental issue is the fault below during upload, I believe due to the F-CPU, it aborts due to the fault and I can't pull a copy as a backup.

Fault:

"the consistent fail-safe upload is not enabled for this online device. either the online device doesn't support fail-safe upload or the appropriate setting in the safety administration editor is not active and downloaded"

Is there a workaround to get an upload or will I only be able to work with the program online, and will I be able to make online edits? I do not have the original and can't get for the customer from the manufacturer. I was hoping to pull an upload so I have a backup, I would like to have a baseline if I need to come back to it.

I saw the Siemens thread on it being not uploadable mentioned, but I know sometimes we have all worked through problems that the manufacturers say there isn't a workaround for.

I have worked through the Festo issue.
I saw the Siemens thread on it being not uploadable mentioned, but I know sometimes we have all worked through problems that the manufacturers say there isn't a workaround for.

Do you actually want to upload the safety FBs, or would the normal program be enough for your application?

So is the scenario - "The machine/equipment is running ok we just don't have a back-up of the plc program"?

I was hoping to pull an upload so I have a backup, I would like to have a baseline if I need to come back to it.
Quite simply:
Power down the PLC.
Remove the flashcard from the PLC.
Insert the flashcard in a regular SD card reader.
Do not write to or format the card !
Copy the contents of the card to a backup folder.
Use windows "safely remove card" function.
Remove the card from the card reader.
Insert the flashcard in the PLC.
Power up the PLC.

You now have a backup of the PLC program.
You can copy the backed up content back to the card, or to a similar empty card.

edit: Be aware that actual values will be reset to the initial values if you copy the program back to the card.
This will happen if you make an online program change, and later copy the original program back to the card.
The PLC will detect that the program checksum has changed and will reset the DBs.
I am not sure that it will reset all DBs or only DBs that are affected by the program change. Better assume the worst case.

edit agin: If the above is a concern, you can use the snapshot function to save the actual values of DBs, and later you can set the DB actual values to the snapshot values.

Last edited:
So to answer a few questions:

Do you want to upload the safety "FB's" - I am not sure if I need the safety programs or not yet. By the time I worked through the communication issues I had and Festo GSDML file version needed. I only had little time left to sort through what was there vs what is needed.

There were about 9 or 10 FB's that were marked as locked (I believe the denotation for safety FB) out of maybe 22 FB's total. I would think I would be missing half the program if I didn't upload/backup the complete set. Not sure entirely, until I visit their site again, I am just trying to go into it with a plan.

Is it running and they just want a backup? - yes it is running, but poorly. They would like us to help as we have resolved a lot of issues in their plant and the manufacturer is becoming harder to deal with for them. I personally don't like making changes without a recovery strategy, especially with being off of Siemens for a few years.

Thank you for the idea on copying the SD card. Would there be any cloning software needed for the SD or just copy it and make sure you copy it back identically? I will have to look at the snapshot functionality as well.

Thank you all for responses.

Thank you for the idea on copying the SD card. Would there be any cloning software needed for the SD or just copy it and make sure you copy it back identically?
Just copy the files and folders as-is.

We use this sometimes to send a program by email, and that is PLC programs that includes safety.