FIFO indexing

lavito1960

Good morning,
I am interested in using FIFO to use for a magazine rack that uses a loader to load part in a slot and index each subsequent part to an empty rack while tracking which slots are empty and what parts are already in the slots and track when they are unloaded. I know I need to setup an array as well as using FLL and FFu but not quite sure how to accomplish this. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

seach for fifo on this forum; there are plenty of examples. FFL and FFU usually work best when the load and unload point are fixed, but there are exceptions. If only the presence or absence of a magazine needs to be modeled, then BSR or BSL will do the job; if the there is some property of each magazine that can be tracked with an INT, then FFL/FFU are probably the way to go.

With both FFL/FFU or BSR/L, note that a rising edge of some bit is what triggers shift, so shift events must occur at least two PLC program scans apart.