Finding a project work in the UK as a freelancer

memberpeace

Hi all

I am a controls & automation engineer working for a company. I may be becoming a freelancer soon.

Just wondering if there are any anywebsites to be able to see, search through projects to bid or to apply as a freelancer in the UK? I heard about www.freelancer.com. But are there any others or any kind of agency working with this kind of stuff? Any little helps :)

I may be becoming a freelancer soon.

:eek: My first thought....

My second was, if you can jump in slow, its better to have a job than need a job and find a niche, where I was before I moved I was getting known in the chicken industry and before that in the peach. Most manufactures need people like us as part time, if you can find enough of them its more than a full time gig and your phone will not stop ringing, especially if you help them out in a jam or go the extra mile for them (say a 2am) they dont forget and try and return the favor, they also talk to each other so get your name out there.

It doesn't work like that memberpeace.
If there was a site where they offered applications to tender for automation jobs - we would all know about it.

There is a site called www.jobsite.co.uk where you can upload your CV and explain you are only looking for temporary automation work.
They are actually crying out for engineers to take on temporary projects but it often involves relocation for 3 months.

Although you would have to take the rough with the smooth, register with a few employment agencies, particularly technical ones, it does mean you will find yourself in some unpleasant situations for example a project where the supplier is in a mess & it's running late, however, there are opportunities, like getting to know clients can help in getting regular work, there are some caveats however, there can be stipulation that if you contract for an agency then you cannot work for the customer directly for a time period. As I said it can be a bit messy but it will give you opportunities. The problem in getting jobs directly is insurance & all the other pitfalls of working as a one man band, taxes etc.

My LinkedIn has quite a few, although there were a lot more a while back, opportunities for controls engineers for 3, 6 and sometimes 12 months contract. Some are regular Siemens/AB knowledge, whilst some request other more exotic knowledge like DeltaV or ABB DCS. However, this is really only worth if you can relocate temporarily and keep in mind that most times the time they require you is double of what they are asking.

If you do have expert knowledge, some shops may want someone to bid for work in that field (ATEX, TUV Safety, or some weird PLCs) but don't have someone that can do the software. Although, I'd expect that they'd need a one time guy and then try to get their people to learn from you.

Lastly, you can always jump over to the other side and work on plants. There's always something that can be done on the systems (not much though) or specifying and managing the installation of new controls.