First GE PacSystems project hints

bosko1

Hello everyone.

I'd like to give you a bit of background on me to start off.
I've been working in control systems integration for 10 years, and most of my time has been spent with RSLogix 5, 500 and 5000. I've also done considerable amount of work with S7 and Versa Pro. I have always tried to use whatever software to its fullest to allow me the fastest development. In the cases of the earlier software, this has meant using excel to import/export tags, and copy/paste/search/replace for actually putting the logic in. The industry I work in (municipal) usually specifies that Ladder be the language used, so I don't have any choice in that matter. In the newer software such as RSLogix 5000 and S7, I've made use of the UDT functions with paramaters, etc, to speed up the development process.

Now... My question to you GE experts is:
How is this done with the new PACs and Proficy machine edition. I've just recieved the software and done a little reading and from what I can tell at first glance is that this is still an address based system (as opposed to tag based).

Can someone point me in the right direction in the manuals? What features does the new software have that are similar to the other software (like UDT, functions with paramaters, etc.)?

Thanks in advance

Thanks.

I've done that already and it makes sense. I'm still trying to figure out how to use a User Defined Structure as an input paramater to my function. So far, it looks like that's just a pipe dream

UDFB is there.
Search the online help of Proficy ME for "UDFB" or "User-Defined Function Blocks". Of course the latest version of Proficy ME is a must for the PAC.
Also look at some of the Sample and Tutorial projests that are installed.
The only complaint that I ever hear on this software is that it lacks SFC, and that is coming.

I started to use this software for the first time a year ago and I love the flexability and control. I had done mainly AB and Siemens. You can right click on the variables field and export everything to a csv file then import it later. The HMI software (Cimplicity) is not as intuative but you have a lot (or too much) control of everything.

PM me if you have specific questions.

Giz.