Flame detector

Charbel

Dear,

I was looking at a project where they are having a 33meter diameter and using a UV/IR flame detector, this flame detector is covering radius of 7.5 meter, as per datasheet it is stating that maximum distance is 15meters and the sensitivity range is between 50% and 75%, so it make sense to put the flame detector to cover radius of 7.5 meter at the edges of the tank with an angle of 90degreeC.
but why the tank is not cover from the other side? what do u think?
see attached picture.

fuel.jpg

Dear,

I was looking at a project where they are having a 33meter diameter and using a UV/IR flame detector, this flame detector is covering radius of 7.5 meter, as per datasheet it is stating that maximum distance is 15meters and the sensitivity range is between 50% and 75%, so it make sense to put the flame detector to cover radius of 7.5 meter at the edges of the tank with an angle of 90degreeC.
but why the tank is not cover from the other side? what do u think?
see attached picture.

First off, that's a pretty big flame. Are you sure that you need to see the entire thing? We have large burners that only get a portion of their burner area scanned since there wouldn't be a flame in this spot unless the entire burner was lit off.

You might consider using flame rods instead. If you still want to use UV/IR, then consider running a tube out from the fireeye to the flame and piping cool air into it to keep the fireeye from overheating.

I attached a drawing on how one of our burners is set up, you can see that the main flame fireeye only looks at the tail end of the burner.

Burner.jpg

Rootboy,

I think it is for fire alarm detectors to sense a flame on or in a 33-mm-diameter tank with volitile liquids. The question is how best to place the detectors to get the maximum coverage of the tank. Right now there is a detector on each side, with a 7.5 mm coverage radius as indicated by the faint grey circle for the top flame detector.

...but why is the tank not covered from the other [2] sides?
Looking at the pipes and openings going into the tank, the most likely leakage (and flame) points may be on or near these pipelines. Often alarm location is a combination of logic, experience, and cost. 4 flame detectors might be good to have, but the cost of 4 (with wiring and fire alarm panel terminals) for every hazardous tank might be too costly. With only 2 detectors, they need to be located at the most likely points to catch on fire.

That's what happens when all you think of is how to get something to burn.
Been there, done that! Sometimes a person becomes so focused on the trees in one area of the woods, that he misses the beauty and meaning of the forest.