Flex I/O as a remote rack in a control logix prodject

hanseriksson

Im trying to add a remote rack to a plc with a 1756 controller

i like to use flex I/O as the remote rack for space resons but dont know how to add it to the prodject
the flex I/O modules do not excist in the list of avalible modules to use but reading manuals it seams i should be able to use flex I/O

nowhere can i find how to add the moduels to the prodject so if anybody knows how or if its posible please let me know

Hans

What communication protocol are you using? Ethernet I/P? Do you have a ControlLogix Ehternet card defined in your project? Then under that card you should be able to add a Flex I/O Comm card.

How are you planning on connecting to the Flex I/O? Ethernet? If so you should be able to find the 1794-AENT listed in your available modules.

im using ethernet/ip

one thing i dont understand is that if i use a compactlogix controller i have alot of options when it comes to moduels like vfd,s ,flex I/O and so on

if i try control logixs i only get moduels that has 1756 as a name
no vfd,s, no flex I/O,s

When you select a CompactLogix, the Ethernet module is already built into the controller so the Ethernet "branch" is already on the "I/O Tree".

When you use a ControlLogix, the Ethernet modules can go in any slot of the chassis, so you have to insert an Ethernet module like a 1756-EN2T into the IO Tree.

Once you do so, you will see the Ethernet network object, and you will be able to right-click and insert and see the network devices you want, including the 1794-AENT and 1734-AENT/AENTR (for POINT I/O).

Thanks Ken

that whas very helpful .im using a plc that in the shop for training to learn how to set this up before i do the real change.

on the trainer the ethernet card is 1756 enet/a ethernet when i right click it the option to add new modules is greyed out

on the actual prodejct i can right click and add new mouels inc flex I/O

not sure why the trainer plc wont let me add a new module. Do i need to change the card on the trainer?

Hans

The 1756-ENET Series A was the very first ControlLogix Ethernet module, released in 1997.

The Series A never supported I/O over Ethernet; it was only for gaining access to the ControlLogix backplane and bridging messages to other networks.

The 1756-ENET Series B supported I/O over Ethernet, but it has far less capacity than the other modern 1756-ENBT, 1756-EN2T, etc.

Examine the product sticker on the side of the 1756-ENBT module. If it is a Series A module that shipped from the factory with version 1.18 firmware, then it can be flash upgraded to Series B firmware.

If it shipped from the factory as version 1.16 or earlier, it cannot be upgraded.