ControlLogix Remote I/O: Would you use Flex 5000, Point I/O, or another option?

sthays

Hey All,

I'm currently building a control system for a large building in a industrial setting. Doing lighting, vent, roof control, door access, VFD and motor control, etc. I plan on having a distributed I/O system with a single ControlLogix PLC running it, and using PanelViews for the HMIs.

I have roughly 500 digital and 175 analog IO spread over the facility . The most I have in one location is about 140 digital in/out and no analog, and about 60 analog in/out with no digital at another.

I am designing the panels, so I don't really have a space constraint.

I've looked at and read up on both the Point I/O and the Flex 5000 I/O systems. I like that the Flex offers more points per card, and has the built in terminals. Saving wiring time and headaches by wiring field devices directly to the modules is nice. It seems they are slightly more expensive, but I think the wiring savings and potential headaches down the line make it worth it.

Can I get a community input on this? Which do you use, or would you use, and why?

Thanks!

I like Flex 5000 a lot. It's their newest line of I/O. It checks all the boxes for me, only downside being price as you've noted.

You gain the same wiring advantages with PointIO, I think the difference is form factor and the additional flexibility you will have with PointIO here.

I would toss 5069 IO into the mix as well. Which I'll likely move to in situations where I would typically use PointIO.

let me make these comments.

1. you need a redundant system if the primary system fails. this may be the safety logix plc, not sure.
2. since you designed the system, you have all the answers, no one else. So document everything ! calls at 2,3,5 am every morning gets old QUICK.
3. install spare comms cables to your communication devices, it will cost more, but will save time and money if a cable dies / goes bad.
4. in the plc program please segment your program into areas and document the ip address, subnet mask, gateway, rack address, everything in the program! do subroutines by panel number, not just in area A for example.
i spent 4 hours looking for two faulted flex i/o module last night due to no documentation.
regards,
james

Wow. Great advice. Thank you.

1. you need a redundant system if the primary system fails. this may be the safety logix plc, not sure.
2. since you designed the system, you have all the answers, no one else. So document everything ! calls at 2,3,5 am every morning gets old QUICK.
3. install spare comms cables to your communication devices, it will cost more, but will save time and money if a cable dies / goes bad.
4. in the plc program please segment your program into areas and document the ip address, subnet mask, gateway, rack address, everything in the program! do subroutines by panel number, not just in area A for example.
i spent 4 hours looking for two faulted flex i/o module last night due to no documentation.
regards,
james

I recently integrated some of the Beijer G series on a Logix 5562 system. The Analog being a 14 bit resolution is a bit lacking depending on what you are going to do and the Com Fail to last state only works if you're using modbus communications not for CIP. But other than those two downfalls it was relatively inexpensive and fairly easy to integrate.

A co-worker of mine used Weidmuller remote IO successfully recently. I didn't get a good look at it though.

If interested in outside of the ab family io, i would look at beckhoff and also Opto22 Snapio family

regards,
james

Segmenting isnt always necessary. Place I worked at one time didn't segment the program, but the IO mapping routines were structured such that when you tracked the tag back to the mapping routine it told you the IO address.. the Card name was always formatted as.. JB"Junctionboxnumber"S"CardslotNumber" So Card slot 8 in Junction box 21 was.. JB21S8. You know right where it was in that system. The did have the program segmented by area.. Chain X, Device Y, etc. Usually there was enough going on even just on a chain area to need its own for quickly seeing issues. Plus as a OEM it was easy to add/remove system segments and link the data pass throughs.