FlexLogix Controller Upgrade

bhedding024

I'm going to rephrase this question. I have a 1794-L34 controller i need to replace. Is there a better way to do this than to put in a 1769-L30ER controller and add a 1794-AENT to the FlexLogic rail where the 1794-L34 used to be and re address the FlexIO as needed? I appreciate the input. Thank you.

I really liked the FlexLogix when it came out, but they never quite caught on like the CompactLogix did.

You are correct that the 1794-AENT is the most straightforward way to connect the existing FLEX I/O to a new controller, using ordinary Ethernet cabling and an ordinary Ethernet switch.

I checked the capacity of those old FlexLogix and the -L34 had just 512K of user memory. You can check the memory usage in RSLogix 5000, but only the very smallest modern CompactLogix (the 1769-L16ER) has less memory.

You could use a 1769-L32E or -L35E and probably run the same firmware. Or you could use almost any modern member of the CompactLogix family, including the current generation's smallest controller, the 5069-L306ER.

The internal tags created for the FLEX I/O modules connected via a 1794-AENT should be very similar to the ones created for the local FLEXBus connection, so the conversion should be straightforward.

I would do the same the other recommended. We are trying to standardize on 5069 for everything. The price point is very competitive for us.

We used those 1794 processors alot when they came out. We had 1794-ASB everywhere on PLC5 and the plant engineer wanted PLC5 gone. So we had 10 1794 replacing 1 PLC 5. I learned alot about MSG before produced and consumed. Then we started produced and consumed. I dont remember if it was with ControlLogix or these Flexlogixs. It was a looooong time ago.