Flowmeter Accumulator during hardware replacement

moistcat

Hi All,

E+H Promag W 500, 5W5B1H (Ethernet I/P implicit messaging 500ms)
AB 5069-L330ER v33.01*

I have a customer requirement where I need to record Flow Total Values:
  • Total (Non-resettable)
  • Total (Resettable from SCADA)
  • Daily

Flowmeters are wired by Ethernet only :rolleyes:

I was planning to use the 3 Internal Internal totalizer registers to store these values, As they can be reset by writing 198 to the totalizer control register. This is currently tested and working.

I was wondering how people handle flow meter replacement? This area is very lightning prone and flow meters generally last 1-* wet-seasons.
I am mainly concerned with "Non-resettable total flow"
  • SCADA Page to manually write old totalized flow back to the new meter?
  • Written process that Service techs probably wont follow when replacing flow meters?
  • PLC code to auto detect when flow meter has been replaced and write last logged value to the new device

Just interested as to how this is handled in different industries and locations.
Cheers,

Have you investigated whether a value can be written as 'preset' value to a totalizer register? Last time someone wanted to do that with whatever brand it was, the flowmeter would not allow a write to a totalizer register; totalizer registers were all read-only.

When replacing a meter, people make a note that the old totalizer ended at XXXXXXXX and the new meter starts at 0.

I have done a bit of digging, and allegedly you have to:
  1. Enable totalizer control, write to register Implicit output tag
  2. Write the Preset Value using Explicit Message (Class 7*, Instance 1, Attribute 13)
  3. Preset + Totalize: write "199" to register Implicit output control tag

I don't currently have a unit to test however.