Free OPC-UA server

You're referring to the full "works" package, which includes an unlimited client/tag/screen SCADA package, plus a full historian, plus the reporting module. There are cheaper versions of each.

The OPC server (and the web quick client) are free. On that note, so is the single PC, non-SQL database enabled "Panel Edition" of Vision.

Nice, but I wish it wasn't $9k.

compare a wonderware package with unlimited clients, historian, development, web browser, unlimited tags, and reprts.... I think you will see a different side of the story then. no that wonderware is a bad product...

Hi surferb,
Just need one clarification. U said it is a free OPC-UA Server, can this be used to connect a PLC(modbus supported of any brand) with a 3rd party SCADA (yes, through OPC Client)?

Can it work as an independent OPC Server for modbus, like as in kepware, matricon etc...

Last edited:
The (free) Ignition OPC-UA server does include a Modbus driver, so you should be able to communicate with any Modbus compatible PLC.

On the client side, it includes a "quick client" via your web browser that allows you to read and write to tags in your PLC.

It can work as an independent OPC-UA server if you have another application that is an OPC-UA client. This will not work with a legacy OPC-DA client (which are much more prevalent these days). Of course, the full Ignition package (paid) provides the full suite of visualization, alarming, historian, and other typical HMI/SCADA type functionality.

Hi surferb,
Just need one clarification. U said it is a free OPC-UA Server, can this be used to connect a PLC(modbus supported of any brand) with a 3rd party SCADA (yes, through OPC Client)?

Can it work as an independent OPC Server for modbus, like as in kepware, matricon etc...