FT View SE Tag Description on tooltip

JesseA

Hey, first time poster here, several-month lurker.

I have received a lot of helpful tips from this website in the past, but this latest problem is either too simple for others to be stumped by it, or I'm simply going over it the wrong way.

I am using FT View Studio SE to create a couple example pages for a potential project. The client is currently using Citect, and we're attempting to show some of the advantages of migrating to View SE.

Context aside, I am trying to have an object display its corresponding tag description when the user hovers over it in SCADA. While I am able to change the tooltip on hover-over, I can't seem to access the tag's "extended tag properties", as my browsing has found it to be called.

I have tried using {TestTag.@Description}*/ and several other versions of much the same. Moving around periods, changing the addressing, etc.

For whatever reason, I can't seem to get this to work. My View version is 10.00.00 (CPR 9 SR 10). I'm using a MicroLogix 1100.

If there's anything else I can provide for help, I'd be happy to. Thanks in advance!

I don't know how to make this work, but I guess I'm wondering why you want to do this. The operator doesn't need to know the tag description of objects on the HMI. The only people who need to know this are programmers/those who have to troubleshoot the software, but they will have no problem finding the tag description when they open the project in FTView Studio on their laptop.

It's a new layout for SCADA, so we thought it might be helpful to let them know with a hover-over what each object display is referring to. Additionally, the item's description includes the min/max ranges.

Hey, first time poster here, several-month lurker.

I have received a lot of helpful tips from this website in the past, but this latest problem is either too simple for others to be stumped by it, or I'm simply going over it the wrong way.

I am using FT View Studio SE to create a couple example pages for a potential project. The client is currently using Citect, and we're attempting to show some of the advantages of migrating to View SE.

Context aside, I am trying to have an object display its corresponding tag description when the user hovers over it in SCADA. While I am able to change the tooltip on hover-over, I can't seem to access the tag's "extended tag properties", as my browsing has found it to be called.

I have tried using {TestTag.@Description}*/ and several other versions of much the same. Moving around periods, changing the addressing, etc.

For whatever reason, I can't seem to get this to work. My View version is 10.00.00 (CPR 9 SR 10). I'm using a MicroLogix 1100.

If there's anything else I can provide for help, I'd be happy to. Thanks in advance!

Try something like this in your tooltip: /*S:0 {L2\226\VLV\FY_226_064\Desc}*/

A description tag, like some other tag I created?

I just want to be sure. My goal is to use the description straight from the tag, much the same way the tag label object gets the tag description.

Is that what you're referring to, or am I still missing something?

I don't know how to make this work, but I guess I'm wondering why you want to do this. The operator doesn't need to know the tag description of objects on the HMI. The only people who need to know this are programmers/those who have to troubleshoot the software, but they will have no problem finding the tag description when they open the project in FTView Studio on their laptop.

I disagree. I think this would be very useful. Imagine you have an array of 100 PLC tags, TestTag[0] through TestTag[100], or Recipe[0] - Recipe[100]. Now as a programmer you probably put a description to go along with those generic array names. Wouldn't it be nice if the HMI could read that directly? The only other option would be to create an array of strings to go along with it or type the text directly onto the HMI. So do you want to type the descriptions 100 times or 200 times? Also when a description changes do you want to change it in both the PLC and HMI or just the PLC?

If someone knows the answer to this I would be very happy.

A description tag, like some other tag I created?

I just want to be sure. My goal is to use the description straight from the tag, much the same way the tag label object gets the tag description.

Is that what you're referring to, or am I still missing something?

Yes set up a description tag in your tag database. for example I try to have a folder with the machine name inside that folder would be one for motors. Inside the motor folder I Usually have an auto bit, run bit ready bit, amps, speed, ect ect……...depending on what you want to pull in for information.
I also include a description tag which is just a memory tag with the instrument number and description of what it does.

By building my tag database this way you can make universal motor control pages or valve controls ect.

It you point to the description tag with the tool tip it should do what you want. Then in runtime, when you hover over the instrument it will display what you want.

another way to do it is to add an object key and type your description in there. Then for action type in nothing on the release. But with the object key they will have to click on the instrument.

Those are interesting ideas. Thanks Peter! Not a perfect solution, but I appreciate the thoughts. I'll likely give that key object a shot and see how it goes.