FT View Studio ME Restore Runtime ERROR with ActiveX control

Ryan_Flowers

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello,

In FT View Studio ME (v12); When I go to restore a runtime file currently in use on a PV+7 I receive the error in the attached photo. It doesn't like something about that particular display number with regards to ActiveX control. I don't really know what ActiveX control does and searching it only confuses me more since it says it has to do with MS Internet Explorer and diving into that browser's settings hasn't repaired it either. How do I go about satisfying this error and updating it? My end goal would be to create a project file from this runtime since I was never provided one, but obviously that is what restore runtime would be for.

Thanks

ActiveX Error 5.27.22.jpg

I have a long winded rant about this, which I have raised with Rockwell, I don't have the time at the moment to go into it.

Basically, when using activex controls, you are now bound to the newest version that it was edited in (v13 in your case). Even though the runtime was compiled to v12. Your options are:

1) Upgrade to v13
2) Have the person that edited the application with v13 delete the activex controls and send you an new runtime.

Edit: activex controls allow you to add functionality that aren't native to FactoryTalk. In your case, someone has a trend object on a screen. We use the ME Program Launcher to open PDF's, regretfully, because of this issue.

Last edited:
I have a long winded rant about this, which I have raised with Rockwell, I don't have the time at the moment to go into it.

Basically, when using activex controls, you are now bound to the newest version that it was edited in (v13 in your case). Even though the runtime was compiled to v12. Your options are:

1) Upgrade to v13
2) Have the person that edited the application with v13 delete the activex controls and send you an new runtime.

Edit: activex controls allow you to add functionality that aren't native to FactoryTalk. In your case, someone has a trend object on a screen. We use the ME Program Launcher to open PDF's, regretfully, because of this issue.

Newest version AND newest patch rollup potentially as well. This bites my eng group about 6 times a year when their contractor uses an updated laptop.