FTView ME Alarm email Messaging

sparkie

Lifetime Supporting Member
So I have converted a PV Standard program over to PVPlus. I have completed the following steps:

Make a hidden screen with the email ActiveX control
Get all email information set up as tags and put into the activex control
Configure the alarms server to use the activex control

When there is an alarm that is configured to use messaging, I usually get two emails. The order varies, but one of them is blank and the other has an alarm from the queue. I am thinking I get a blank message because the activex control has been triggered to send a message but has not copied over the message body yet.

What I'm trying to do is get the queue to cycle the alarms and send the messages from the stack until it is empty. I know I will need to utilize a timer for this, but I'm not exactly sure how. Should I have a constant 1 second timer in the PLC and assign that to a tag or should I just do it with VBA?

It seems there is a message trigger function in the alarms setup that I will have to alternate in order to cycle through the queued messages. Does anyone have experience with this?

Sounds like you want to use message handshaking.
With the Alarm Setup open, click the help button. Search for Message Notification Connection.
I think this could work, but I have not used these two together (email and alarm messaging handshake).

Use message notification and handshaking; which you will need to setup for each alarm trigger.
Then you will not need to worry about timings or 1 second cycles.
You'd also have to use the Handshake connection from the Email activeX.

Connect the Alarm Message Notification connection to the Email Trigger connection (memory tag).
Connect the Email Handshake connection to the Alarm Message Handshake (memory tag).

I have done this, but at the moment all the alarms are set up as a few arrays of bits, so when the value of the array changes, then an alarm is registered.

From what I have read, I have to use a timer to cycle through and toggle the alarm present bit to get the alarms to cycle through the queue properly, and this is what I'm having trouble with.