FTView SE Distributed App with isolated HMI Tags

jkerekes

I have a customer with an SE distributed application. It's version 7 running on a Windows 7 32 bit server and three VersaView Clients running XP. The issue is how on SE distributed can we get each client access to HMI tags that the other clients can't write to. The original application what designed for SE Station.

We need a folder of HMI tags that is unique to each client. Looked at different tech notes and passing parameters and such. Doesn't seem like its going to work.

Each client is gong to be setup that on the overview page an operator can choose which part of the process that he can control. Each client needs to act independently of each other. Sort of like SE Station. Any ideas? Thanks.

I have a customer with an SE distributed application. It's version 7 running on a Windows 7 32 bit server and three VersaView Clients running XP. The issue is how on SE distributed can we get each client access to HMI tags that the other clients can't write to. The original application what designed for SE Station.

We need a folder of HMI tags that is unique to each client. Looked at different tech notes and passing parameters and such. Doesn't seem like its going to work.

Each client is gong to be setup that on the overview page an operator can choose which part of the process that he can control. Each client needs to act independently of each other. Sort of like SE Station. Any ideas? Thanks.

I have been complaining to Rockwell for many years about the lack of client side tags.

There is a way around it with setting up a tag folder for each client and loading specific parameter files on client start up but it's a PIA.

You simply cannot do that with SE.

Any client can write to any tag, period.

The best you could do would be to use some local, VBA Scripted client-side code to decide which specific computer it is running on, and then only enable displays/code for that computer. You can do that by getting the computer name in VBA and hardcoding it, or using the "FileExist" function in VBA and/or the FileExist FTView system function in individual fields and expressions.

At this point, Rockwell should just go ahead and pull FTView from the market, and start paying anyone that actually has it damages on a yearly basis based on how many licenses they have for it.