FTView to Ignition

Ignition is now way overpriced.

Compared to SE, no. They did raise the prices, but the overall cost is still better than most, FT, WW, Aveva, etc. You can get a single client license for around $1600. I will say Perspective is expensive, they are very proud of it and charge accordingly.

Despite its slow speed and ugly interface, FactoryTalk Linx is very good at detecting changes to the tag database or edits to the memory allocation and re-negotiating optimized data exchange. I like that it can browse an *offline* file too, which is more important during development than during operation.

I have not seen any issues with Ignition detecting changes. I will say there is an issue with case. If you have a tag 'MyTag' and then change to 'mYtag', Ignition doesn't pickup on the change right away. You can force to unsubscribe, or an easier/quicker way is to change to something different, then back to what you want. Other than that, I have found no issues at all. You definitely won't have problems deleting tags because ME/SE is using them.

Ignition doesn't handle an offline file like FT, but IA did create a L5K Parser, this lets you simulate.
https://inductiveautomation.com/exchange/2114/overview

Since most Integrators have Emulate, just use that. I can run Emulate in an image and point to Ignition in another image. No need to change the "shortcut" either, just change the IP address. Very handy. But, I also find I don't need to test as much, since we use UDTs mainly and just pass in a basetag and everything goes along for the ride.

I have not seen any issues with Ignition detecting changes. I will say there is an issue with case. If you have a tag 'MyTag' and then change to 'mYtag', Ignition doesn't pickup on the change right away.

I wonder how aware they are of this behavior? Obviously Logix is case insensitive, so it seems that their driver should ignore case. Their CIP developer is active over at their forum, I'd be curious if he considers this expected behavior.

I've just got an L16ER that kicks about in my drawer. Obviously it's way too underpowered to handle a full project, but I don't need it to - I just export/import the tag database, download a blank program with the tags included, and point Ignition to that. The PLC doesn't even need to be in run mode, as long as Ignition can see the tags, it's pretty straightforward.