FTViewSE - deleting animation from objects...

daba

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hoping someone can save me hours of tedious work...

I have several hundred text (single-letter) objects on a display that all have a "Colour" animation attached.

I need to delete this animation from all of them, but can't find a way to do it "en masse". To do each one separately is, so far, the only option I can see.

Has anyone overcome this hurdle ....

I have not done this so I cannot give you any more information then below but I THINK I have read of people using Notepad++ and exporting the screens into an xml(?) file, opening that in Notepad++ then editing what’s needed and reimporting. Maybe that can get you started, or maybe someone whom HAS done that will chime in

SWAG It's been a while since working with SE but can you select them and use the property panel or object properties?

I don't know of a way to change them all at once, but would it be easier/faster to delete the animated text and replace with non-animated text?

I doubt it would be easier, in fact it would take more steps to do it.

I have made a start on it, and you can keep the animation editor window on-screen between object selection, so its just a case of selecting the next animated object, hitting "Delete", and responding "Yes" to the confirmation pop-up.

It's still tedious and mind-numbing, but in essence it's not too bad .... just wish I could hit them all with one or two clicks ...

SWAG It's been a while since working with SE but can you select them and use the property panel or object properties?

Object properties (Object Explorer) only lets you at a single object at once, and the Property Panel doesn't include animation rules.

Just a thought: can you export the screen, open it up in an xml editor or Notepad, then search & replace the offending code? Edit:
JZerb beat me to it. I have done this before and it works.

Before doing this, I'd suggest changing one of the existing objects to reflect the end result, note the object ID for easier search/discovery in your editor. Then you can easily compare the differences between the "before" and "after" properties. Also, create a backup of your screen, just in case you need to revert back to the original.

Last edited:
Just a thought: can you export the screen, open it up in an xml editor or Notepad, then search & replace the offending code? Edit:
JZerb beat me to it. I have done this before and it works.

Before doing this, I'd suggest changing one of the existing objects to reflect the end result, note the object ID for easier search/discovery in your editor. Then you can easily compare the differences between the "before" and "after" properties. Also, create a backup of your screen, just in case you need to revert back to the original.

I can't see an option to export a display. The *.gfx file is undecipherable by the look of it, mostly unprintable bytes, it's not .xml format certainly.

Right click Displays -> Then select Import and Export...
It will export as a .xml at least on the old FTSE 6.1 I had available to look at.

Right click Displays -> Then select Import and Export...
It will export as a .xml at least on the old FTSE 6.1 I had available to look at.

Well, blow me down with a feather !! Thanks Bob O

I'd like to say you learn something new every day, but when I did as you suggested, the proposed destination was a VMShare folder, and I now recall I did exactly that only 4 months ago when building an ME version of an SE project. I had to have the ME project on an XP VM, because the database was 32-bit.

In essence I knew you could export/import, because I did it then. Guess I'm getting too old for this lark, and Alzheimers must be setting in ....

2019-07-05_122144.jpg