*FUN* Tall Tales Told to System Integrators

Bigger companies = more layers of management.

Most dangerous thing in the world is a manager with a 2-way radio.
Chaos ALWAYS ensues.

If you cant DO, MANAGE.

Weve had problems not with our own sales but with Vendors.
They sell customers piles of mis-specced out junk and promise them itll do everything the customer wants and more: Modicon PLCs that dont talk Modbus, underpowered CPUS with not enough memory and remote IO for a PLC that doesnt support it. Best ever was software that wasnt even for the right BRAND they had installed.
Tough making RS Logix talk to a Modicon..........

ARGGGGGGGG

SLC_Integrator said:
Weve had problems not with our own sales but with Vendors.
They sell customers piles of mis-specced out junk and promise them itll do everything the customer wants and more: Modicon PLCs that dont talk Modbus, underpowered CPUS with not enough memory and remote IO for a PLC that doesnt support it. Best ever was software that wasnt even for the right BRAND they had installed.
Tough making RS Logix talk to a Modicon..........
ARGGGGGGGG

As a distributor we get it from customers.
One called our inside support line and wanted to know why the PLC he bought and installed did'nt work, when asked if he had talked to the person who programmed it. The answer was "What do you mean?, what program?, I bought it with a program."
Yes, he bought a program but he had no clue that someone needed to use the program he bought to write logic to make his machine work.

I like the one about big companies, it reminds me of a contract we lost to a very large competitor (oh by the way the project engineer put in place by the client happen to work for the competitor).
anyhow on first quote they were 34% above us on price, next day another quote appeared from them (I wonder why?) which was 12K less than ours?
We asked the project engineer are you buying the job? "Yes" was the reply, ok get on with it.
We were then called in to complete the data logging on the project, funny they exluded it from the quote, it turned out to be 37k for the data logging, now if my maths serves me right if they had awarded us the contract it would have cost a total of £156,000
however it finally cost them £144,000 + £37,000 for data logging that equals well... you know the score....

parky said:
I like the one about big companies, it reminds me of a contract we lost to a very large competitor (oh by the way the project engineer put in place by the client happen to work for the competitor).QUOTE]

We have the same problem right now.
His solution this time is to exclude us from the bid so they dont have to buy the job and just bid against big expensive competition.
Sad because any way it works out the client gets screwed.

As you said ... They can 'Get On With It'.

geniusintraining said:
On a side note... About the AR's being on hold in my first post, Tim (TWControls) we are still on, I have the money to pay you :D
Wow, you mean I'm suppose to be getting paid to do this?

Do you know what this means!?!

I going to have to open an accounting department, pay taxes, and get one of those big fancy cell phones with all those do dads on it.

This could get expensiveo_O

TWControls said:
I going to have to open an accounting department, pay taxes, and get one of those big fancy cell phones with all those do dads on it.

I did not say how much... :)

Also I only saw it come up once in this thread (by Ron).... Tim is net 3,225 ok with you? our accounting department is slow :eek:

Let's make it twice

The check is in the mail.

I have waited 7 years for one that should have been around a quarter mil, maybe tomorrow.

geniusintraining said:
I did not say how much... :)

Also I only saw it come up once in this thread (by Ron).... Tim is net 3,225 ok with you? our accounting department is slow :eek:
Yes, 3,225 minutes will be just fine with me:beer:

RussB said:
As a distributor we get it from customers.
One called our inside support line and wanted to know why the PLC he bought and installed did'nt work, when asked if he had talked to the person who programmed it. The answer was "What do you mean?, what program?, I bought it with a program."
Yes, he bought a program but he had no clue that someone needed to use the program he bought to write logic to make his machine work.

Pfffftttttttt! I get that from my own management. It is not uncommon around here for the mechanical group to spend a month on the project and then when they pack up the welders and wrenches, I'm expected to have the thing running before I go home that night.

I went out to repair a machine a few years back, when I put my laptop on and looked at the code I said to the director theres a fault on the index switch, so he looked at the screen and then looked at me rather puzzled and said I cant see where it says that!