Funny family thing

We were sitting outside with a few friends having a couple of drinks.
One of my friends asked me what actually I did.
I replied I turn stuff on and off,
without hesitation my wife replies
"ya him being gone all the time, I never get turned on, so most of the time he is cut off.
We all about fell out of our chairs laughing.

I worked with several plumbers who swear this stuff happens. They get a service call to steam coning out of the water heater. Some of the guys had burns to prove it.
You know where the permitting comes from. The 1 or 2% who can't or don't understand what the extra 3/4" NPT hole in the new tank is for. Plug this hole and turn up the temp on that tank That is why we have to put up with the stupid permit stuff. To protect us from theose who don't know what they are doing.

Kinda had the same discussion with my oldest kid (10 yr old). Told her that I programmed computers to control machines. She didn't grasp the concept. So I took her to the local car wash, paid my $16, and while we were going through it, I explained that computers controlled all the car wash equipment.

Making Money

About a month ago I tried to explain to my 4 year old why we have to go to work. I used the I get paid mone to fix thinks and money allows us to buy food, clothes, toys, etc.
So yesterday while reading this treat I asked him what daddy does when he goes to work? You make money so we can eat and play. I have a new job title.

My favorite was telling a sister's boyfriend that I was an engineer. His response: "What railroad do you work for?"

I have an uncle that is an electrical engineer that actually did work for a railroad--I bet he always had trouble explaining to people that he really didn't drive a train...

I finally arrived at a simple description: "I take a pile of junk and build machines that spit out money'. People can buy into that concept.

I have enjoyed this topic. I received permission to let my boy in to watch robots run. Soon he will have a computer science degree and wondering what to do with it.

Smoke,

Your son has probably arrrived at the point of being a threat. So teach him electricy and control and introduce him to someone who runs a business. Then you will have a well rounded package.

I never got to the "run the business" part, with mine but I'm still working at it.

I was part of government funded project a while ago and we had to advertise across the country for electrical and computer professionals. I received 3000 resumes from the computer side and 40 from the electrical side. There is a pretty strong message there.

Best Regards,

Bob A.

this is quite too funny thats why am in deeep love with this site.hey my spouce just doest know when i tell her that am leaving for work but she sees me walk into a cement manufacturing plant every morning.love this

Bob that is a great idea. Stupid for me not to think the same. We just got a guy to hire and that was the problem. Computer smart, no electrical knowledge. Wiring is therapeutic to me anyway. The last place I worked asked us to work some production. I liked doing that, but am glad I don't do it all day every day.

Last edited:
I received 3000 resumes from the computer side and 40 from the electrical side. There is a pretty strong message there.
Too many computer people to fill the few jobs available. Computer work is cleaner and less messy than going out to dirty MCC rooms to look at burned-up motor starters.