Gauge SPC to PLC Integration

ChillyB

Guys,

My inspectors are sorting parts by length, then placing in the appropriate bins. We have a high rate of sorting errors. I've improved the gauge error from 114% of tolerance band to 3% of tolerance band using a modified ID snap gauge with a digital indicator. That solves the measurement error, but not the error in placing the part into the correct bin.

How do I connect my gauge SPC port to a PLC so I can drive actuators (i.e. chute trap doors, diverters, etc.)? Are there cards made for this specific application?

GAUGE DETAILS
Brand: Mitutoyo
Series: 543-392B
Model: ID-C112EXB

Thanks,
Byron

contact your local SI if possible,

if can't,or you need to do yourself if you a programmer

you need give more detail about your communication modbus ,wiring, plc type etc

other member will be give you tip,

but my advise call your SI to do.

Yes special cards are available, with LVDT, however i would make it lots simpler, with a laser and a mirror, and a lighttransistorset (out of a computermouse) the laser and receiver are mounted steady and the mirror is on a lever.
if the lever is in correct position the laser is shining both receivers,if too short only one is on thus giving signal to your plc to open a bin.
and yes you can connect your gauge too, however you will need it to have control of your sorter.

That should be a nice and fun project. I think the SPC data is BCD so anything that can read the string, parse the data and interpret it should be ok. I would use a Red Lion HMI and an AB PLC.

Appreciate all input. I'm new at PLC, though I was an Electronic Tech in the Navy and an Electrical Engineer by training. But I've been in manufacturing quality for quite a while now so please bear with my ignorance. I am resolute that I will become somewhat proficient with PLC in the next year or so.

I should state that for business reasons Fanuc controllers are preferred if not mandated. Also, our plant is setting up GEIP Proficy system. Given that you may guess who I work for. Regardless, my goal is not to design the system, but to be sufficiently knowledgeable to help our system integrator spec out what will accomplish the task. The more I know, the better I can help steer the project to a successful conclusion.

Given that we have Proficy available (new implementation, we're still learning it) should I be sending the gauge output to Proficy then having Proficy drive the PLC? If this would work I'd have the advantage of recording the process data in Proficy Historian. Please understand that I am a VERY novice user of Proficy and PLC so if what I say makes no sense there are legitimate reasons.

Thanks,
Byron

Which plant do you work at? I can't help with GE I can almost spell it. The Red Lion HMI will do some amazing things with serial data. The local GE plant has several Red Lion products just because they handle communications so well.

Google "Mitutoyo interface" and you'll find several places where you can find converter from the gage output to RS232 or other interface standards. If you already have a PLC on the line you may be able to connect the RS232 signal to it.

Here's one place that offers converters.
http://www.midwestflex.com/mitutoyo-flexport-gage-interface.html