GE 90-30 Alspa C80-35 Failure

Ralf_GER

Hello,

i have an Problem with one plc... suddently the CPU stopped and we were not able to start it again. Restart by switching on/off didnt work. We read out the fault table : 0,1 Programblock checksum failure. (CPU Type 350). Has anybody an solution how to handle this failure? Resetting of fault table didbt work.

Regards

Ralf

is there a function in the progamming Software to clear the Memory or how i can clear it?

If i download the program again is it just the ladder prg or als the config file. Ihave to admit ...i dont have any experience with GE PLC´s. I am happy that i found the fault table.

I know my way around the GE programming software, but not the Alspa offering. What software are you using? There is a place in the GE software where you can clear the memory. After doing so you must download both the hardware configuration and the program.
You can also clear the program by removing the CPU module from the baseplate for a few hours. The battery that backs up the RAM memory is located on the power supply, so removing the CPU module disconnects the battery. You need to disconnect for a few hours because there is a capacitor on the CPU module that will retain memory for a short period of time. If you can locate the cap and short it out, you can reduce the time you need to keep the CPU disconnected from the battery.

Last edited:
Good morning Steve,

The Software is named as P8. It´s an DOS based Software running under Win98. There is an CD and it seems it contains a backup of the Software. Do I have to take care about networking? The System is installed on a ship and controls the Propulsion of the vessel. 7 outstations with this Kind of PLC connected via FIP Bus to 2 redundant PLC 90-70?. I have only experience with Siemens S7. The GE System is complete new for me. This one PLC controls a thruster.

Best regards frm Germany

Ralf

This is speculation on my part, but if the Alspa software is a clone of GE's Logicmaster, you would clear the PLC's memory from the menu section accessed by the SHIFT + F9 key from the main menu. Once there, press the F5 key to get a list of options (Clear program, Clear configuration, Clear all). Select what needs to be cleared and confirm.
I have no experience with FIP.
There have been several iterations of redundant GE processors over the years. I won't speculate on the risks of clearing the memory in a satellite CPU in a system like yours. I hope there is good documentation somewhere on the vessel. I'd read it carefully before deciding what to do next.

All documentation on board are just electrcal drawings nothing about Networking or Details of the program...found some Service Report and checked the date of some Software Versions on the programming Laptop. In my opinion the Plc isnt work we cant get it work again without clear Memory...so let´s start with clear program....upload latest Version see if it run ...if not ... clear config...upload again see if ist run ... if not clear all and try again...if this also not work... mark the thruster as out of order and sneak in a corner to weep bitterly.

Problem solved! Thanks a lot :). All what have to been done was to overwrite the program and Change over to run mode.