GE Cimplicity HMI Questions

colorofwind

Lifetime Supporting Member
Back to forum!đź“š

I'm working on a project that requires upgrading Cimplicity HMI from Version 7 to 8.2. Does anyone here knows if the new Cimplicity 8.2 is fully compatible with the solution files developed by version 7?

I know this might be a dumb question. Since this is a special environment and the HMI shall not stop, is there any chance the running project be screwed if I click File -> Copy to Project in Workbench to get the solution files?

I've programmed Rockwell PLC and HMI but GE HMI is something new to me. I wonder if someone can suggest some helpful learning resources about this, especially about scripting.

Please feel free to share your opinions. Thanks a lot!

I have never tried "Copy to Project" from Workbench with a running project.
I have often copied a project to another folder from Windows Explorer when it is running.

If you copy the entire folder, it will fail for a lock violation.

What I normally do is to first copy the entire folder and let it fail. I then go into the copied project folder and delete everything except the lock folder. I then select everything in the running project except the lock folder and copy.
With this method, I don't have to create any folders and everything is copied.

I have done this many times and have not yet had a problem.

At the link that RussB posted, search for "CIMPLICITY_Upgrade_Checklist".
This has a list of items to do when upgrading.

If you plan on testing in the same environment, do NOT run two projects with the same name.