GE Fanuc 90-30 software windows version??

I sent you a zip file with Logicmaster. Presumably the adapter from plccable.com is a USB/RS485. Once you have installed the driver for it, check Windows Device Manager to find what COM port has been assigned to it. Logicmaster only supports communications over COM1 through COM4. Sometimes those adapters get assigned higher port numbers.

When you launch Logicmaster, make sure the "90-30" above the text "PCM" is highlighted. If it isn't, hit <SHIFT>+ F3 to highlight it. Then hit F1 to open the programming software. Once that launches you will be prompted to select a project file. If there is already one named "TEMP", select it. If not, create a project named "TEMP". When your current project file is "TEMP", Logicmaster allows you to upload from the attached PLC even though the name of the program in the PLC isn't "TEMP". With any other project name, Logicmaster won't permit upload unless the names match.
Once you have selected the project name, you will be OFFLINE with the PLC, as shown by the field in the bottom center of the screen. Hit F7(setup), then hit F4 to choose the COM port. If the correct COM port isn't selected, hit the <Tab> key to scroll between the options. When the correct COM port is highlighted, hit F7 to save it. Then hit <ESC> twice to get back to the min menu. Now hit <ALT>+ "M" to toggle between Offline, Monitor, and Online. Monitor is "look only". You need to be Online to change anything. Once you're online, hit F3(status) and then F3(plcflt) again to see the fault messages. When you're looking at the faults, hit F9(clear) to clear the faults. Then hit F4(io flt) to see the I/O fault table and clear that. Once you've cleared the faults you should be able to start the PLC running by hitting <ALT>+"R". If there is still something preventing running you will see a new entry into one of the fault tables which will offer a clue to the underlying problem.

Thank you!! I don't see it in my email yet, i'll check my clutter folder

The one you referenced in post #32 is intended for a PC with a real RS232 COM port. It is a RS232/RS485 converter. If you already have a USB/RS232 converter with a male DB9 on one end, it should work for you.
The one you showed a picture of in post #19 is a USB/RS485. That one is intended for a PC that doesn't have a real COM port. It plugs into any USB port and the driver included with it assigns the USB to a COM#.
In both cases, you need to check the COM port number assigned to the USB/serial converter. Logicmaster only accepts COM1 - COM4. Sometimes those converters get assigned higher COM port numbers. If so you will need to manually assign it to something in the acceptable range.

The one you referenced in post #32 is intended for a PC with a real RS232 COM port. It is a RS232/RS485 converter. If you already have a USB/RS232 converter with a male DB9 on one end, it should work for you.
The one you showed a picture of in post #19 is a USB/RS485. That one is intended for a PC that doesn't have a real COM port. It plugs into any USB port and the driver included with it assigns the USB to a COM#.
In both cases, you need to check the COM port number assigned to the USB/serial converter. Logicmaster only accepts COM1 - COM4. Sometimes those converters get assigned higher COM port numbers. If so you will need to manually assign it to something in the acceptable range.

I do have a rs232 converter, but how will the 9 pin work when the power supply is a 15 pin?

Are you trying to decide which of the two cable/converter units you posted pictures of to purchase?

If your XP laptop has a real serial port (9-pin RS232), get the one pictured in post #32.
If you only have a USB port on your XP laptop, get the one pictured in post #19.

If you already have a USB/serial converter with USB on one side and 9-pin RS232 on the other, you can use the converter in post #32 which is RS232 on the 9-pin side and RS485 on the 15-pin side.

The issues with USB/serial converters are only with Logicmaster software. If you don't have computer with a real serial port your best bet is to use VersaPro or Machine Edition. The fifteen pin port on the power supply is a RS485 programming port. Default port parameters are 19200 baud, 1 stop bit, odd parity.
Hi,

I'm adding onto this thread because it is related to a problem that I'm having.

I'm trying to download to a GE 90-30 PLC that was installed ~12 years ago. The PLC was allowed to run dead by the customer and the program was wiped. I was able to get the program from the OEM but I cannot download to the PLC. I can barely get a connection.

I installed PME V9.5 to a Windows 7 VM. Using the trial licence, I could open the OEM program. I tried using the a GE 90-30 cable from plccables.com to connect to the PLC using PME in the VM. I could never connect. I instead tried building the "cheater cable" and tried to connect using a USB-RS232 converter. I could connect but I was constantly being kicked off within 30sec. Not long enough to complete the download.

I tried installing USB drivers to the VM to connect. I also tried sharing my COM port with the VM from the host device. Both had the same results.

Any thoughts on what to try next? I'm trying to track down a Windows 7 laptop to install PME directly (I cannot install it on my Windows 10 machine as it crashes whenever it attempts to install "HASP drivers"). I'm worried that the VM is causing issues. I'm not sure what else to try. I'm not sure that I can find a laptop with a serial port.

Any ideas are welcome. Thanks!

I have had similar problems with serial communications on a virtual machine. The physical USB/serial device has a COM port number assigned by the host. You have to make sure that the COM port is properly bridged from the host to the VM. I can't remember the details of how to make sure, but that could be the root of your problem.
If your USB/serial converter has LEDs that indicate when there is traffic, watch for blinking when PME is trying to make a connection. If you don't see any blinking it's a sign that the VM is trying to communicate through a different COM port than the one assigned to the converter. If you see only an occasional blink it's a sign that PME is sending out a signal but not getting a response. That generally means a wiring problem or a port parameter mismatch.

Thanks Steve for the response.

USB-Serial LEDs were blinking periodically as well as the Comms LED on the GE controller. This was when I was using the USB-RS485 device available from plccables.com. The blinking seemed too infrequent on both to demonstrate good connection and PME continuously retried to connect. I really don't think there was a mismatch.

When I went to a USB-RS232 device and made a cheater, then the blinking was more consistent and PME showed a connection. It was just spotty.

I have to assume that this is a VM thing. Does the version of PME matter? I'm still trying to find a different laptop with Windows 7 within my company. Fingers crossed that could help.

Steve, I figured that I should update you and for anyone else that sees this thread.

https://www.plccable.com/ge-fanuc-usb-snp-plc-cable-ic690usb901-90-30-90-70/

I used the cable purchased above again but this time I found a laptop with Windows 7 (64bit) installed directly on the machine. I used PME v9.5 as I did before on a VM. I was able to connect instantly and without issue. Super easy.

I wasted many days trying to get stuff to work with a VM. I've used serial converters through VMs before without issue so it is not clear what I was doing wrong. I've not quite encountered such a problem before.

Thanks for the input and help. A warning to everyone else, if your VM game is not top notch, then do yourself a favour and try as hard as possible to use an older machine to connect to these PLCs.