GE Fanuc Series 90 Micro

Firmware Update for GE Fanuc Series 90 Micro

Firmware Update for GE Fanuc Series 90 Micro via USB to RS422 Adapter (IC690USB901) utilizing Windows 7

Download Series 90 Micro firmware release 3.10 at GE Automation Support web site http://support.ge-ip.com
You must register for free to get a SSO login and password. (I had to e-mail them because I could not register at the first time as I did not have a customer number)
Extract the files and copy it to a USB Drive strait to the prompt (outside any folder).

Download and install DoxBox at http://www.dosbox.com it is an MS-Dos emulator for windows that works much better them the windows cmd opening software for 32bits systems.

Install the cable drivers, in my experience I had my USB Adaptor set automatically as COM5; as the GE firmware update utility just has just 2 options of ports (COM1 & COM2) we have to change it at:

Control Panel>Device Manager>Ports

At Port Settings Tab click in Advanced to set the USB adaptor port as COM1 or COM2
Also the Port Settings must be set as 19200bps; Data bits: 8; Parity: Odd; Stop bits: 1; Flow control: None

Open the DOSBox

At the Z:> prompt:

Configure the serial port typing

serialX=directserial realport:comX (X must be 1 or 2 as you set in the Windows Port Settings)

Mount the USB Drive and run the firmware update utility typing:

mount A G:/ (where G is your USB Drive Letter)

Z:>cd A:

A:>install

Following the instructions in the installation document that come with the update utility you must have the PLC stoped;

Inside the firmware update utility press F3 to set the Port pressing TAB and ENTER to confirm
Press F1 to attach to the PLC and F1 again to Boot and Install the new firmware
After finishing the firmware update the installation utility will tell you to restart the PLC.

Done!

Hi,

I have a 90 series micro PLC.

I have followed all the steps for the 3.10 firmware update.

After the power cycle, the ok & run leds blink together and won't stop blinking. It seems that I'm stuck in boot mode.

I can't communicate with the PLC anymore.

Can someone help me please.

How could this be possible?

The utility says update successful and when I tried to update again, the screen show that the 3.10 firmware is installed.

Thanks

Not sure but flashing LED's is not a good thing, you are correct it sounds like a bootup problem, but that may have came from the upgrade firmware, if you can not communicate to it any longer then it sounds like its now bad... not sure of the CPU you have but is there a battery? if yes try unplugging it and powering down then and see if that resets it

PLC serial is IC693UDR005RP1

I installed the m28-r310 update. Everything goes as the manual describe. After the power cycle, the ok & run led starts to blink simultaneously after a few seconds. I then press any key as instructed. The leds won't stop blinking even if I do another power cycle. I don't want to remove the battery because I don't want to loose the logic in the PLC. That's what I was trying to get at first.

PLC serial is IC693UDR005RP1

I installed the m28-r310 update. Everything goes as the manual describe. After the power cycle, the ok & run led starts to blink simultaneously after a few seconds. I then press any key as instructed. The leds won't stop blinking even if I do another power cycle. I don't want to remove the battery because I don't want to loose the logic in the PLC. That's what I was trying to get at first.
The simultaneous flashing LEDs indicate that the PLC has started the update process and is waiting for the file(s) to be downloaded. You may need to set the toggle switch under the left panel to its other position. Also you need to be using port 1 (left edge of PLC).

Okay, I know am replying to an old post, but geez! doesn't anyone read the instructions on the boot loader program and firmware upgrade??? Yes both lights blink on and off. You have to power cycle and then repeat the procedure a second time then power cycle a second time. Bam just like that you're at 3.10 and ready to go.