GE networking PLCs help

LA7Y

I'm fairly new to GE PLCs and I'm having some trouble figuring out which direction to go on a setup. Here's my issue:

I work for a community college setting up labs and I've started a new lab using a GE 90-70. I've already used all the DC I/O I have available with the cards already installed in the 90-70. Instead of ordering more DC I/O cards, the professor would like to network either a single or multiple GE PLCs. Here's what I currently have to use:

-The 90-70 has a Genius IC697BEM731 card installed
-2x Genius IC660TSS100E
-A 90-30 rack with:
-IC693CMM302C
-IC693BEM331B
-IC693CMM301F
-2x Series 90 Micro (IC693UDR010BP1)

I'd like to get as much DC I/O as I can so I'm wondering which way would be the best/easiest way to get more I/O.

-Use the Genius card in the 90-70 to connect to the 2 IC660TSS100E (less I/O)?

-Use the Genius card in the 90-70 to connect to a 90-30 with the Genius cards installed? Although I'm not sure which of those cards I would need.

-Or is it possible to connect the 90-70 to the 2 Series 90 Micros that I could somehow daisychain?

Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks, Cory

The IC697BEM731 is a Genius Bus Controller module for the 90-70. That will allow your 90-70 to control the I/O in the IC660TSS100. That part number defines the terminal base, not the I/O mounted in it. Those bases will accept IC660EBS100 or IC660EBS101 Genius electronic modules. The complete assembly terminal base and electronic module would carry part number IC660BBS100 or IC660BBS101. Those are 8 circuit 115 VAC /125 VDC I/O modules. Each individual circuit can be configured to be either an input or an output. You will need a Genius Handheld monitor (IC660HHM501) to configure them.

The IC693BEM331 is the Genius bus controller for the 90-30. It performs the same function in a 90-30 as the IC697BEM731 does in the 90-70. The IC693CMM301 and IC693CMM302 are Genius communication modules. They allow a 90-30 to share data with a another PLC on the Genius network. Throw away the IC693CMM301. The IC693CMM302 has significantly greater capabilities.

The Series 90 Micro PLC is not compatible with Genius.

Genius is GE Fanuc's proprietary remote I/O networking protocol, somewhat similar to DeviceNet, although totally incompatible with it.

What is the overall goal? When you say "the professor would like to network either a single or multiple GE PLCs..." Are you trying to have a lab setup to illustrate the functionality of "Remote IO"? A-la 'PLC --- Protocol----IO block' or do you just want more IO? Or do you want illustrate data communications between PLCs?

Why do you need more Digital I/O? Digital concept is pretty basic stuff, if you have 10 I/O points or 100 what is the difference from a teaching standpoint? Granted if you have a bunch of different lab stations I can see the need, but from a "teaching" perspective I'd try to get some Analog I/O in there, maybe some high speed counters...etc.

I'm not up to snuff on Genius, so I can't comment to much on the parts you have listed, however because this will be taught to students at some point I'd suggest reading manuals to make sure you know the right information, I would start here.

A great teaching lesson is to teach the students how to find the information they need directly from the manufacturer (ya know...doing homework! You still have to do it in the real world ;)), granted these forums are a great help but ideally not the first place one should look, you'd be amazed at how much information is provided directly from GE, AB, Siemens...yadda yadda just by googling part numbers.

Give your local GE supplier a call, see if they would donate some time to give you advice on the best setup given your parts. I'd bet they would be happy to do some teaching of their own. Again, this could be a great teaching lesson if the supplier/rep is willing to help "teach" what their relationship is to their customers.

Steve, thanks for that information, that (along with finding a few more Genius modules and the manual that goes with them) has helped me make my decision.

Paully, the end goal of this project is to have an automated dice roller that will roll dice, transfer them along a conveyor using a vfd, pick up the roll using a vision system, and pack them into small boxes.
The reason we wanted to use more PLCs was both for the extra I/O and also to teach the protocol.
My place in this whole thing was to take a pallet of parts that were donated, come up with something informative/cool to use them on, design it, build it, and then let the instructor and his students loose on it.

The reason they have me do all of the setup is because the classes vary so much in experience. Sometimes we get students who don't know what DC stands for, but sometimes we get students who have already worked in industry for years and just need a certificate. So we end up needing both simple labs and complicated labs. This one will end up being for the advanced students to trouble shoot, since the program is more maintenance than design.

Sorry if it seemed lazy just asking those questions, but I've got too many instructors needing things done before fall semester starts. :)

Thanks for your input
Cory

Not being lazy at all! Just tried to throw out other "teaching" opportunities thinking it may be or may not be useful.

The school were I learned was similar, some students were pretty smart and learned the concepts rather quickly, others did not and you had to spoon feed them, so I completely understand the need to cater to the variety!

Good luck with the semester!