GE VersaMax Programming Help (Using VersaPro)

Cstro

Lets me first start off and say I'm pretty much a novice at Ladder Logic. I'm self taught what little I know. Now that being said I have a ?

WHAT I'M USING: GE VersaMax (IC200NDD101-FJ) Nano Controller with 6 inputs and 4 outputs.

WHAT I'M TRYING TO DO: I'm testing solenoids for residual magnetism.

MY TEST SETUP: I'm sending a 24 volt, 40 ms pulse to a solenoid. There is a switch attached to my mech that lets me know every time the plunger is energized into the solenoid. When operating properly, The solenoid energizes pulling the plunger into the solenoid and the switch is activated. When the solenoid energy is released the plunger returns and the switch goes back to its normal status. If the plunger sticks in the solenoid do to residual magnetism and doesn't re-activate the switch my program stops.

MY PROBLEM: If the solenoid releases the residual magnetism the program continues to run and I don't know when or if it failed unless I see it stuck.

HELP NEEDED: How can I set up a timer or something of that matter that will stop my program if it sees that my switch is not activated for a certain amount of time.

MY LADDER LOGIC:

Ladder%20Logic.jpg

Thanks for any help, Craig

Last edited:
One way would be to add a TMR enabled by not Q1 (NC) AND not I1 (NC) set to .5 or 1 seconds with output to an internal maybe M101 then add a NC contact of it in series of Rung 1.

I'm sending a 24 volt, 40 ms pulse to a solenoid.
That's not what the program you posted does. It turns on the solenoid 150 time units after the switch closes and once on turns it off 5 time units after the switch opens. That's assuming a switch wired normally open.

How can I set up a timer or something of that matter that will stop my program
I don't think you really want to stop your program. Generally, PLC programs run continuously. If the program isn't running, all outputs will be turned off and the PLC can't respond to changes in the state of the limit switch.

That's not what the program you posted does. It turns on the solenoid 150 time units after the switch closes and once on turns it off 5 time units after the switch opens. That's assuming a switch wired normally open.

I don't think you really want to stop your program. Generally, PLC programs run continuously. If the program isn't running, all outputs will be turned off and the PLC can't respond to changes in the state of the limit switch.

Right now I have the PLC set to wait about 1.5 seconds with the first timer before it fires a pulse to the solenoid.

The second timer of is set to 50 milliseconds to control the pulse length.

Its working fine, but if the plunger sticks and then releases I most likely wont see it happen. I really just don't want the solenoid to receive another pulse if this happens.

You may need to set up a sequence of multiple steps.
Step 1 - Turn on solenoid.
Transition from Step 1 to Step 2 is when you turn the solenoid on.
Step 2 - Wait for switch off.
Transition from Step 2 to Step 3 is when the switch turns off and the sequence has been in Step 2 longer than the minimum time.
Step 3 - Turn off solenoid.
Transition from Step 3 to Step 4 is when you turn the solenoid off.
Step 4 - Wait for switch on.
Transition from Step 4 back to Step 1 is when the switch turns on.

If you remain in Step 2 or Step 4 too long set the appropriate alarm and don't allow the sequence to continue.