Gray Code 12 bit Encoder

dodong

Any recommendation on using a gray code encoder as input to a compactlogix PLC to trigger a digital input every 15 degree position on a rotary table? The encoder is a 12-bit resolution. Rotary table is 80 inches diameter that turns between 10 to 100 RPM adjusted by a recipe.

Sample instructions and ladder logic code would be helpful from any helping minds of expert in this group.

Thanks

dodong:geek:

12 bits is a bit of overkill with 4096 positions, that's a little over 170 positions (170.6666 etc) per 15 degree section.

1, Attach the encoder to an appropriate input module (pay attention to voltage needs). It is best if the 12 bits are the low bits of a module. The upper 4 can be used for other things as appropriate.

2. Preserve the lower 12 bit from the input word.

3. Perform the BCD to binary transformation.

4. For ease of reading I would use 24 comparison rungs. Don't use a comparison to single numbers since at 100 RPM the numbers will be changing by several per scan.

Are you unclear on how to do these. Take them in order please.

And how can a post be the zeroeth post for a person?

Last edited: