Great Job for PLC in Milwaukee WI

Since "DaMan" brought it back to the surface...

S7Guy said...

Unfortunately, even today there are many plants where only the electricians are "allowed" to be involved with PLCs even though the mechanics would be a better choice.

When it comes to developing (or maintaining) a process... I don't care if a guy is an electrician or a mechanic... there are only two things that I consider important...

First, the guy must understand the Laws of Physics. This includes electrics, mechanics (statics and dynamics), pneumatics, hydraulics,... etc ... oh yeah... he really has to be sensitive to that idea called "gravity" (included in dynamics). EDIT: (Oh yeah... I forgot... that damned thing called "inertia"!)

Equally important, he must have a sense of system (process).

Either without the other can only lead to disaster.

I understand that you are suggesting that at some particular facility the mechanics happen to be more suited than the electricians...

That only means that the particular facility has a bunch of non-process-thinking electricians. Sure... that can happen... I know it does.

However, remember... any idiot-mechanic or idiot-electrician can program a PLC!

There is no way that I would say that an electrician, just because he is an electrician, is better suited than a mechanic... nor vice-versa.

Last edited:
At a plant i work at 3 people have access to the PLC myself,(Outside contractor), the Plant electritian( Realy good controls/process guy..if a little weak in the sparky side of things)and of all people the QC guy..If a program change needs to be made for a wash or process side of things he can do it himself..(He ask's before hand to as not to upset the electritian and union)As terry said who cares what you job title is as long as you understand the rules!

Lionel...

When I hear someone say... "It can't be done!" I can only wonder who is missing the boat?

Is someone calling for something that is physically impossible?

Or is someone denying the feasibility of something simply because that someone doesn't know how to do it.

I've been down that road for many years... over the years, as I become more experienced, I find that many of my "It can't be done!" calls were really unfounded.

These days, I say, "Let me think about it... Let me see if I can come up with a way to do it... within 'my understanding' of the laws of physics."

Quite often, I find that "I" am lacking... and that it is "I" that has to come up to speed on the laws governing a particular physical phenomena.

"Imagination" is not limited to developers only...

That is even more so the case for "common programmers" or "common program maintainers".

And, in case anyone didn't know... there are many more "common program maintainers" than there are "common programmers", and far more "common program maintainers" than there are "program developers".

Alot of times my supervisors call for the physically impossible. Other times they want things that can be done, but don't want to spend the money to do it.

It is hard to maintain equipment if they do stock the parts to repair them. I guess they think it is cheaper to overnight, Saturday delivery an item then to keep it on hand.

Yes, I know somethings we don't need to keep in stock. Somethings we do. Example: We had a problem Friday night with an injectors. First problem was an inverter went dead. Had that in stock, replaced and programmed. All good there. The other problem was that a starter was messed up. The contacts were welded together. Guess what. Zero in stock. So I had to break it free and get it to run until they can get one in.

We very rarely having bearings in stock. Well, let me rephrase, plenty instock, but wrong sizes, or for equipment we do not have any more.

There are alot of things in the plant that can be done. Alot of things that can make employees tasks easier. But they don't want to spend the money. I try to get them to look at long term, but they only want to look at today.

If I am not sure if it can be done or not, I either: A) Tell them to give me time to research the problem and discuss it with my fellow co-workers or B) Be honest with them and tell them that is beyond my realm of what I can do.

I have enjoyed working in this field. The only problem I have is that I feel that my company is holding me back. I may just be parnoid. I just feel like I can help the company, but they just brush me to the side...

terry..my standard answer to the question.."can you do this...." is anything can be done...but do you want/have the time/money to spend to do it?
If they say yes then i say give me some time and i will make it happen..If i cant do it myself then i look else where..My personal opinion is if i tell him i or it cant be done they will go somewhere who tells them it can be done..