Ot : Great news...

This is great news.
However. Sadly, too many folks will resist taking it.
Even in my little tiny neck of the woods, its crazy how many folks are hard against taking any vaccine. It seems like all the late 30 somethings to the younger adults are against it, all the people 40 and above cant get it quick enough. We had a flu shot clinic in our community last weekend. It was sad to see nobody there, especially since its free. Just my experience anyway.
I think lots of folks will take it, just not the younger crowd. The ones that mingle and party, the ones who should take it.
Ill sure take it when its offered to me!

However. Sadly, too many folks will resist taking it.

I saw the interview and have been watching it for sometime now, the really cool thing about Pfizer's (and maybe others) is that its not like the flu shot, with the standard flu shot they inject you with a dead virus this one teaches your body how to fight it and what to fight... may lead to a cure for the common cold (some day)

The standard flu vaccine is only 40-60% affective so 90% is unreal

Steve said:
Two doses per person required for immunization.

I think it was 24 days apart that you needed the second shot

I think if enough people are on board it will reduce this thing to nothing and maybe we can stop another 1.2 from dying from it

its not like the flu shot, with the standard flu shot they inject you with a dead virus this one teaches your body how to fight it and what to fight...

Live vaccines are standard for MMR, poxes, &c. The concept of mRNA vaccination is new; plenty of testing still to be done.

The standard flu vaccine is only 40-60% affective so 90% is unreal

A main factor in vaccine efficacy is the rate of mutation of the disease. Flu viruses have a very high rate of mutation resulting in a large number of strains that quickly change. The annual shot provides protection against a handful of strains that have been identified as likely to be common that year, but there's no guarantee the virus won't mutate into a new strain by the time everyone gets vaccinated (and sometimes they guess wrong about which strains to base it on).

Compare the low mutation rate of pox viruses, which allowed for an effective smallpox vaccination. 90% doesn't sound too unreal in that context.

Covid seems to have a relatively slow mutation rate, certainly nothing like the flu's. If you can vaccinate faster than it mutates, wiping it out is largely a matter of being thorough.

Obviously you know what your talking about... but is mRNA not one of the coolest things, these people that are dreaming up these things are the true genius's

I wouldn't consider myself anything approaching an expert... I just like to have some idea what they're sticking in me each year :) (In particular I wish I could find more info on why one type of vaccine is used for a disease instead of another)

mRNA vaccines are definitely a neat concept, and if they pan out there's real potential for those with compromised immune systems that usually are not candidates for live vaccines.

My point was that the purpose of a vaccine is to teach the body to recognize a disease and respond to it without having to actually undergo an infection. If the virus mutates enough that the body sees it as sufficiently different from the vaccine you took, the vaccine is rendered ineffective. The type of vaccine is far from the most significant factor.

Great News, but timing of the event is some what suspect. This is same company charging the US high prices than others countries for drugs.

So again
Great News!
I will be getting the vaccine when available

I think we all work with and absorb chemicals way way worse than what’s in that vile. Ha. Just wish this was would have come out a few weeks sooner. Just a short time ago they were cussing this thing and calling it wreck less. Now it’s the greatest scientific achievement, funny how things work out.

I saw the news too. I wish they put more context into the release though. The number are very preliminary and haven't gone through peer review process yet. There's no substitute for time when it comes to phase 3 trial.

yes, it's encouraging though.

It seems like all the late 30 somethings to the younger adults are against it

That might just be your part of the world :ROFLMAO: The rest of us are all for it. Victorians, especially have had a long and difficult lockdown period here, so avoiding another one of those would be more than enough motivation for them.

1.2 Billion vaccines is a lot of money. I bet they are pushing to get this out into the world first. I for one welcome our new Pfizer overlords.

Victorians, especially have had a long and difficult lockdown period here, so avoiding another one of those would be more than enough motivation for them.
This weekend I went out and saw people! In real life! And I went to a pub and had a beer! It was glorious! I cried a little bit!

(but seriously, 11 days straight of zero cases statewide, I'm so f***ing proud of my fellow Melburniuns)

This weekend I went out and saw people! In real life! And I went to a pub and had a beer! It was glorious! I cried a little bit!

(but seriously, 11 days straight of zero cases statewide, I'm so f***ing proud of my fellow Melburniuns)

I have a great many friends and family in Victoria. We're all proud of you too 🍻 I am absolutely dumbfounded that there are still people who are denying parts of this, let alone the success isolation has resulted in. Victoria is an absolutely shining example of what can be done. Good on you guys.

Back on topic. Bring on the vaccines, so I can go back to spending my life on site commissioning machines that are challenging for customers who will never appreciate the effort :ROFLMAO:

That might just be your part of the world :ROFLMAO: The rest of us are all for it. Victorians, especially have had a long and difficult lockdown period here, so avoiding another one of those would be more than enough motivation for them.

1.2 Billion vaccines is a lot of money. I bet they are pushing to get this out into the world first. I for one welcome our new Pfizer overlords.

Around me it’s everyone resisting it, purely political. Just like everyone around me says the flu vaccine gives you the flu. The left, a week ago said it’s wreck less, the right is against anything scientific. People think they are so different, but yet are so much the same.