Ground and Resistor fault issues

MattMatt9

Hey all. I dont know if this belongs here but I have a High Resistance Ground unit that is displaying a resistor fault. Anyone have knowledge on how to troubleshoot such a fault? Thanks.

Is it a resistor fault or is it picking up a fault (current flow)?, if it's current flow, put a clamp amp meter on the earths individually and see which circuit has current flowing in the earth back to the neutral star point

I just checked and there is no current flow using a clamp on, but there is a gauge on the front that shows "fault current" and it goes between 0 and 0.7...how can it show a fault current yet not have any current using the clamp on to ground?

The gauge showing 0 - 0.7 , in a quick look at the manual this should be amps, so reading 0 - 0.7 amps on a clamp meter maybe asking a bit much, on AC it might not matter, but make sure you have it installed it in the current flow direction, from earth toward neutral(meter should have an arrow on the clamp showing current direction). You may need to get a more sensitive meter.

Don't start unbolting circuit earths and getting between the earth conductor and the earth bar, remember that a healthy heart is supposed to be able to handle a 30 ma shock, you have up to 700ma, so just because it is an Earth it can kill you.

In more reading of the manual, it is the great wisdom of RTF%$#&%M, they tell you how to find the fault, suggest you have a read.

Last edited: