gsm modems that works with both S7-200 & S7-300 cpu's

smf

Hi

Does anyone know of a gsm modem with TS-adapter that works with both 200 & 300 cpu's?

My requirements is that it should be easy to install so that i can send out modems to customers with problems and they install it, then i do the program updates and the customer sends the modem back.

I'm using a modem + ts adapter from systeme helmholz now and it's a fine modem, it's pure plug & play but it doesn't work with s7-200 cpu's for some reason.

Hi!

TC35i should work ok.

What is the problem you have with S7-200 teleservice? How do you set the PC/PPI cable and the remote modem? Do you have anything else connected to 200 port?

Regards

Lorenzo Rivas
www.nubitek.com

@lorenzorivas

Hi!

The problem i have with S7-200 is that my modem is only made for S7-300 :) but i have sent it back now and will look for this TC35i modem on monday hopefully :)

Does the TC35i modem has a teleservice adapter inbuilt or do i need to buy that also?

Hi!

Things you need for doing Teleservice with a S7-200.
-A S7-200 CPU :)
-A Siemens GSM modem TC35i, with antenna and power supply. I have used a TC65 or a MD-720 too, but the TC35 is the cheapest. You must configure this remote modem using the Wizard for modems in STEP7 - MicroWIN.
-A SIM card from any mobile telephone operator.
-A PC/PPI Multimaster cable ( Siemens ref. 6ES7 901 3CB30 0XA0). You have to configure the PC/PPI cable microswitches to support a transmission rate of 9600 baud, 10 bit format, PPI mode and remote connection: this is 01001110.
-A 9 pin, male-male Sub-D adapter, to connect modem and PC/PPI cable.
How_to_connect_them.jpg

Steps for communicating from STEP7- MicroWIN:
- If you have MicroWIN v4.0, use SP2 or higuer. Teleservice doesn't work well if not.
- Set the PG/PC Interface:
- PC/PPI cable
- 9600 baudrate
- COM port
- Mark 'using modem'
- Configure the local modem using the wizard
- Open the Communication Window:
- Create a new connection: here is where you indicates the PIN number of the local modem, the phone number of the remote modem, etc.
- Call (it takes about 1 minute..)
- Now you can work like connecting straight with the cable. Look for CPUs, get online, etc..
Good Luck!

PD: I think TC35i modem is ok for S7-300 too, using the TS-adapter and Teleservice software for STEP7. Try it!

Lorenzo Rivas
www.nubitek.com
S7-200 GSM Solutions

lorenzorivas said:
-A PC/PPI Multimaster cable ( Siemens ref. 6ES7 901 3CB30 0XA0). You have to configure the PC/PPI cable microswitches to support a transmission rate of 9600 baud, 10 bit format, PPI mode and remote connection: this is 01001110.
This will be a problem if smf has to work with first generation S7-200's (S7-21X). These are only capable of working with 11-bit frames. Only the newer S7-22X CPUs are capable of handling 10-bit frames. Although, out-of-the-box, even S7-22X is configured for 11-bit frames, you'll have to change that first to work with 10-bit frames

Kind regards,

Last edited:
A company called Helmholz has modules that go on to S7 and S5 with no special wiring they attach to the jumpers or the backplane for the hot swap. they are sold on McAps-inc.com

About 10 o 11 bits settings

Hi Jean Pierre:

Thanks for your explanation about 10/11 bits on PC/PPI cable, I didn't know about this before (really I've never used a 21x CPU :))

I have always use 10 bits communicaction with 22x CPUs but I've never done any special configuration on the CPUs to set this mode.

Could you clarify me in detail what may I set to change 10/11 bits communication? I though this was something related to the modem, and I didn't think too much about that because it was working well :)

Regards and thanks!

Lorenzo

The original PPI protocol uses an 11-bit protocol: 1 start bit, 8 databits, 1 paritybit and 1 stopbit. In the second generation S7-200 CPUs (S7-22X) it is possible to use a renewed PPI protocol without the paritybit, resulting in a 10-bit frame. This is done mainly because most modern office type modems don't have the possibility to be configured for 11-bit frames, only the more expensive ones and the industrial ones have this nowadays.

After your remark about not having changed anything, I looked it up and it seems the PPI cable is using the right configuration automatically when it comes to programming the PLC. As far as my info goes, it doesn't when it comes to using the programming port for communicating in freeport mode.

Kind regards,

Sure, your explanation about 11/10 bits sounds well. Thanks very much.

About the freeport and 10 bits subject, I'm sure it could work because I use it like this to communicate with a modem (sending AT commands to control the modem). But in this case I configure the SMB30 in a 10 bits communicaction (8 bits per caracter and no parity bit) and "it seems to run well".. :)

Regards!

Lorenzo