GX developer: Downloading from PLC to PC

Mas01

I want to make a backup of the PLC software on to the C-drive of the PC.
Just watched a video on this....Does anyone know why you download "Params+prog" first then after that, untick them , and then tick Device Data and then download that separately?
Thanks

I think that is is not mandatory to do it like that, but idea is upload from PLC memory allocation parameters and similar and the to upload Device Data.

First get the right terminology
You upload from the plc - not download to the PC
It's important as you might download a blank program to the PLC and then it's gone forever.

Just upload param + prog. There is no real need to upload device data
The device data can and does change during running and you would just be taking a snap shot of the state it was in at that point.
And if you were to download the device data at some later point - bad things can happen.

If the plc has a 'file register' block to tick - then tick that as these are unchangeable and are usually used for setting up the machine. (but they are rare)

First get the right terminology
You upload from the plc - not download to the PC
It's important as you might download a blank program to the PLC and then it's gone forever.

Just upload param + prog. There is no real need to upload device data
The device data can and does change during running and you would just be taking a snap shot of the state it was in at that point.
And if you were to download the device data at some later point - bad things can happen.

If the plc has a 'file register' block to tick - then tick that as these are unchangeable and are usually used for setting up the machine. (but they are rare)
Thanks, but just to clarify, I want to make a copy of the PLC software currently residing in the PLC and back it up to the C-drive of the PC. I don't want to change the PLC software yet.
I would call this a download or possibly 'read from PLC'.
Is that correct terminology?
Thanks

Thanks, but just to clarify, I want to make a copy of the PLC software currently residing in the PLC and back it up to the C-drive of the PC. I don't want to change the PLC software yet.
I would call this a download or possibly 'read from PLC'.
Is that correct terminology?
Thanks

mitsu is using read/write terminology (at least in english localization) where read is for "read from plc" and write is "write to plc"
imo is more natural than upload/download

mitsu is using read/write terminology (at least in english localization) where read is for "read from plc" and write is "write to plc"
imo is more natural than upload/download
Thanks, so is 'read from PLC' equivalent to a 'download'.?
May I should just call it 'read from PLC' to avoid confusion.

Ronnie is correct, almost, As you have an HMI on the system then uploading the data memory (usually called Main) is almost certainty, the reason for this is that there is probably some variables (set points) that can be set via the HMI for example speeds, recipe variables etc. If you do not update these on your PC then should you loose the PLC program you will have to re-enter any variables as above. I also suggest you do not just upload to a blank file, I believe you have a copy of the original anyway on your PC, I suggest you save this as an original backup. Then take a copy open it up then upload the PLC to that file and save it as a different filename (conventions are often original file name plus a current date & version number). This way you keep your original (just in case), your re-named file that is updated with any possible changes & data becomes your new working file, this is important because uploading to an empty project you will have no symbols or rung comments.
So as per these steps:
1. Save a copy of original (if you have one).
2. re-load it and update it so you have incorporated any possible changes or modified data then save it as the latest version by an upload of everything.
3. Do this again and save it with the latest version number.
If you intend to make changes use this file but again save it as a working file with another version number in the filename.
4. use this latest one to do your changes.
5. Some time after a well tested system you could delete some of the previous files.

Every one has different ways of version control and I'm sure this will attract loads of comments etc. but a simple way is to incorporate version control is in the file name.
for example:
Original file, "Production line 1 20_01_20 V1.0"
Original plus upload "Production line 1 24_01_20 V1.1"
New modified one ""Production line 1 28_01_20 V1.2"
I also suggest you add comments at the first line of the program stating what the reason is for i.e. "Updated original with data upload V1.0"
"Changes to code for xxxxxx 28/02/20 V1.x"
Make sure you always have a way back should things go pear shaped.
Keep backups on a separate media i.e. a server or some form of removable media.

Ok Parky, if there is an hmi then uploading the data is recommended.
But don't download it unless everything is lost, otherwise it will overwrite values changed since the upload.

I know to my cost. 25 years ago when I was a bit green, I uploaded everything from a brick stacker. Made changes and downloaded the lot back.
The stacker was on layer 2 when I uploaded and layer 5 when I downloaded.
The massive hydraulic brick grabber now thought it was back at layer 2
And crashed into the brick stack smashing the grab and bending the hydraulic ram.
Oops, red face.

Again Ronnie is correct, Make sure before downloading the Data make sure the system is idle i.e. the plant has stopped and hopefully in a safe position.
Only download the Data files if the program has been lost.
One thing about GXWorks, if it was programmed as a structured project it will not re-construct the project but give you the same format as GXDeveloper and loose any comments and structure(unless the symbol file has been downloaded to the PLC but this is rare).
The structured project in GXWorks puts the code into the PLC in a different way.
Instead of a single file that ends in the "END" instruction it creates pointers to subroutines that are outside of the main code This can be difficult to decipher and modify so again maintaining your files is important.
for example:
Begin of main code......
Call P1 Call subroutine
Call P2
A M224 CJ P3
FEND
P1: Subroutine 1
RET Return to main program
P2:
RET
P3:
RET.

END

Ronnie is correct, almost, As you have an HMI on the system then uploading the data memory (usually called Main) is almost certainty, the reason for this is that there is probably some variables (set points) that can be set via the HMI for example speeds, recipe variables etc. If you do not update these on your PC then should you loose the PLC program you will have to re-enter any variables as above. I also suggest you do not just upload to a blank file, I believe you have a copy of the original anyway on your PC, I suggest you save this as an original backup. Then take a copy open it up then upload the PLC to that file and save it as a different filename (conventions are often original file name plus a current date & version number). This way you keep your original (just in case), your re-named file that is updated with any possible changes & data becomes your new working file, this is important because uploading to an empty project you will have no symbols or rung comments.
So as per these steps:
1. Save a copy of original (if you have one).
2. re-load it and update it so you have incorporated any possible changes or modified data then save it as the latest version by an upload of everything.
3. Do this again and save it with the latest version number.
If you intend to make changes use this file but again save it as a working file with another version number in the filename.
4. use this latest one to do your changes.
5. Some time after a well tested system you could delete some of the previous files.

Every one has different ways of version control and I'm sure this will attract loads of comments etc. but a simple way is to incorporate version control is in the file name.
for example:
Original file, "Production line 1 20_01_20 V1.0"
Original plus upload "Production line 1 24_01_20 V1.1"
New modified one ""Production line 1 28_01_20 V1.2"
I also suggest you add comments at the first line of the program stating what the reason is for i.e. "Updated original with data upload V1.0"
"Changes to code for xxxxxx 28/02/20 V1.x"
Make sure you always have a way back should things go pear shaped.
Keep backups on a separate media i.e. a server or some form of removable media.
Hi, yes, we've got several backups on the c-drive already.
Yes, we've got 30 or so setpoints too.
Rig operator tells me that they only ever occasionally change 1 of the setpoints. There's also a button called "Reset to Default" so that default setpoint values can be reinstated.

This is what I was proposing to do - hopefully it is consistent with what you've said:
1. Make a copy of the latest backup & rename it (eg with *_BKUP_181120)
2. Open the newly-created file 181120
3. Do a 'read from PLC' (upload) to this new project.& save it.

Yes that's the way to do it, if your file does have symbols & comments then these will still be there, I suggest you do a compare of the PLC program file first and if there are no differences then the comments will not go out of line, if the code is different there could be a problem where some comments will be out of sync with the ladder rungs, not a complete disaster it just means that the comments may not make that much sense but small changes probably will not make any difference, the symbols will not be affected. So the only things you need to upload are the PLC Program, PLC Parameter and the Data Memory (Main).
See pic, You may have extra options.

Upload.png

Yes that's the way to do it, if your file does have symbols & comments then these will still be there, I suggest you do a compare of the PLC program file first and if there are no differences then the comments will not go out of line, if the code is different there could be a problem where some comments will be out of sync with the ladder rungs, not a complete disaster it just means that the comments may not make that much sense but small changes probably will not make any difference, the symbols will not be affected. So the only things you need to upload are the PLC Program, PLC Parameter and the Data Memory (Main).
See pic, You may have extra options.
I've created a copy of the software and renamed the copy to BKUP_181120 & opened the backup.

On the 'Read from PLC' window, Mine has got more options to tick (or not)

Program: ANALOGUE/COUNTER/DEFAULTS/MAIN (one tickbox each)
Device comment: COMMENT/MAIN (one tickbox each)
Parameter: PLC/Network/Remote (just one tickbox)
Device memory: Device Data (one tickbox)

Don't know if I should tick ALL or just some of these.

I'm too nervous about clicking the 'Execute' button, so I'm chickening out.
:(

Last edited: