Has anyone configured an AB 1784PKTX for Linux OS

P Decola

I was hoping to find some assistance in creating a driver for an AB 1784PKTX card in an Ubunto OS environment. Here is the root of my situation, my HMI is compliant only to Windows 2000 and it is getting harder to make new machines to run on 2000. So I have started on a project to set up a VM on a non MS machine to run the image. If anyone has any insight on experience on this it would be appreciated.

I can't recall anyone here trying to do what you want to.

You may want to look at going to an ethernet port on the processor and getting rid of the pktx all together.

Thanks Mark

That would be the easiest way but I am stuck using the DH+ network because of design and cost. To switch to a lan app would require a change out of all the plc's and the associated comms devices. Being in a municiple environment, money is always hard to come by. The VM would give me functioality for many years without having to upgrade the HMI. The HMI does not have an easy migration of the Data base and most of the 9000+ tags would have to be hand bombed in. Also the next level upgrade is app $40,000 for the 5 terminals running on the software. I just started working on this but I have let a few consultant companies in on the idea because for small municiple systems it will allow contiuous ops without the costly change overs.

You're facing two different problems; creating a driver for a proprietary card and finding a way to link those services to a virtual PC. Are you planning on using VMWare or are you going a full-bore Open Source solution ?

If it were me, I would replace just the 1784-PKTX with an external DF1/DH+ converter from www.protocolconverter.com. Most Virtual Machine hosts will provide asynchronous serial port support to the client OS without a lot of fuss.

I have one customer who runs all his RSView SE clients as virtual machines with Red Hat as his base OS. It's been a significant time saver for him when he adds clients, because he just provides the client with a VMWare Image, fully installed, patched, and tested. All those comms are over Ethernet.

Last edited:
Thanks Eddie

That looks like a pretty neat idea. I am stuck on this path for this run because of the budget requests that have been made, they won't let you change streams on budget requests. This does present an option for my next computer replacement in 09, and with the VM, full blown open source, experience I gain this time I might be able to change the future direction to an ethernet/dh+ hybrid.

P Decola said:
Thanks Mark

That would be the easiest way but I am stuck using the DH+ network because of design and cost. To switch to a lan app would require a change out of all the plc's and the associated comms devices.

My reading of this is that if you used a Control Logix Gateway, you could retain all your existing DH+ network as is, without needing to change any PLC's, and get to Ethenet thru the Gateway.
All thats required is a, 4 slot rack, a power supply, an ENBT card, and a DH+ Rio card.

Last year I installed a Control Logix Gateway, and split my DH+ network in two, at the same time it worked out well.

Gil47 said:
My reading of this is that if you used a Control Logix Gateway, you could retain all your existing DH+ network as is, without needing to change any PLC's, and get to Ethenet thru the Gateway.
All thats required is a, 4 slot rack, a power supply, an ENBT card, and a DH+ Rio card.

This is definitely the way I would approach this task.
1. No need to maintain custom Linux code to utilize the PKTX.
2. Do not forsee ethernet ports on servers/workstations going away any time soon - compatability extended!
3. With the gateway solution, you can keep your controls on a seperate network. Then have a single connection to either corporate lan or directly to the server. In addition, if you ever add ethernet PLC's, then you could utilize a private control network for the PLC's keeping printers and email server traffic away from the controls.

Thank you Oakley and Gil47

That also sounds like a sensible idea and fairly easy to impliment. What I have rec from Rockwell is an internal memo that lists out the IRQ's and memory alocations for the PKTX and I will still try to create an open source driver.
My issue is that to religate the 4 PKTX cards that have been purchased over the last 4 years, @ $2200 each, will make my municipality want to hand over this control to the IT dept. This is fine for email or Windows config problems but they have no clue as to HMI's or the rockwell software and they do not understand the process of operations in a municiple water treatment facility. Plus 8 to 4 IT support does not cut it in a 24 hr a day op. You all understand your process and to have to baby step someone from outside through it would just be to much.

P Decola said:
What I have rec from Rockwell is an internal memo that lists out the IRQ's and memory alocations for the PKTX and I will still try to create an open source driver.
Is this something you could share? I have been asked to do a project with a PKTX card and not use RSLinx or InGear drivers, so I would like to convert my DF1 driver to send/receive PCCC commands through the PKTX card.