hate to bring up such a old subject..

quaizywabbit

im using a pv550 keypad, rs485 only(2711-k5a2, frn 3.14), with a 1747-L531 slc5/03, 8k, os302.

when i try and setup an ascii keypad enable, or cursor point, the strings do not display in the ST file theyre being sent to. when i leave the .1 off the address in the pv tag the .len jumps huge...figured it would. but when i put it back in, nothing shows up in the address, no .len, no characters whatsoever.i assume my plc address is wrong, therefore the tag in the pv is along with it.

so my question is this: when defining a symbol(in logix500) for a specific address do i just go with(example>) ST20:0? or ST20:0.1? when i do the .1 in logix it changes to .DATA[0]

ive seen some posts recommend .DATA[1]

whats the right format at each end? do i have to write the .len myself in ladder?

Thanks so much in advance.....

I think you are going to need to set up the Panelview Standard with Character arrays always pointing at element 1 (Example: ST20:0.1 in the Panelbuider32 tag database) , and then you may also need to manipulate the length field (ST20:0.LEN in RSLogix) when using ASCII entry objects.

I have a file I just opened to look at and I have an old rung comment along with a subroutine to strip off extra characters:

My rung comment:
"ASCII Entry objects from the PanelView 1000 may be padded with trailing null characters. The JSR to file 28 truncates the string before it is copied to the data and display locations....PEC 2008-02-14"

Attached are the four rungs of code I used to do this if you need them:

PV_ASCII_Entry_Strip_Nulls_000.png

Last edited:
pv text input.jpg

Thanks Okie, that got me on the right track....modded it a touch tho, couldnt get anything to work till the length was set to something first.......so i picked 82

ha! finally got this thing to put the screenshot up!

Last edited: