Help Copying Rockwell Master Disk

The only way I have had any luck is with an OLD PC (old style floppy is the key) running Windows 95 using Winimage (any version including 6.1) the key is it has to be the Old style Floppy Drive.

This should only be done for back up purposes. ;)

RsMaster Disk Backup and Archival Tool

Two years ago I released to the community a tool that allows a user to easily copy a floppy disk to an image file, and then mount that image file as a "virtual" floppy drive.

This application allows you (once you have created an image file, that is) install an activation on a PC that DOES NOT have a floppy drive on it.

You can find this program at my site:
http://www.zippybackflash.com/software-rsmaster.php

Alternatively, it is featured on SoftPedia:
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Back-Up-and-Recovery/RsMaster.shtml

This application is 100% freeware, and contain no spyware, trojans, or malware. The full source code for the program is also available for those interested.

Keep programming, guys!

There are a zillion utilities that will let you copy an RS master disk. Just make sure you are working within the legal obligations of your software license if you use any of them.

Disclaimer

I totally agree with you on that, monkeyhead.

I create my tool because Dell stopped including Floppy disks in their laptops a few years ago, and we had an incredibly hard time getting Rockwell applications installed.

At that time, well over half of the external floppy drives available for these laptops absolutely WOULD NOT READ a Master Disk. After many calls to tech support, we discovered that the USB powered floppy drives would not read the Master Disks because the way that Rockwell "hides" the activation key.

Our other problem is that our field laptops were notorious for getting trashed. Although Rockwell allows you to reset an activation, they do not like to do this multiple times for that same one, even if it is over a few years.

So we used this app to copy the Master Disk, and then that disk is locked away and never used. We use the image files for installation.

Like any other tool, it can be abused if you choose to do so. But almost all the people I've met over the years that are using these tools have a legitimate need to do so, and have no desire to break their software agreements with Rockwell.

LonnieRWest said:
But almost all the people I've met over the years that are using these tools have a legitimate need to do so, and have no desire to break their software agreements with Rockwell.

It used to seem I was asked nearly every day by someone for a disk so they can take a copy of RSLogix home. I used to politely explain that only one copy could be activated at a time and that we obvioulsy needed the two copies of RSLogix Standard and RSLogix Starter to be operational at work. Eventually I started to bluntly point out it was MY responsibility to protect the software that the company had purchased and registered under my name and that the answer was no. I haven't been asked to help anyone steal a copy in a long time.

Besides, when I go home, the last thing I want to do on my PC is the same stuff I do all day at work. I don't understand why these people Jones for this software like they do.

Pierre said:
Remember that software devlopers have family to feed.
The software developers that I know still live at home with their parents and have all the Star Wars / Star Trek episodes on DVD. They otherwise only spend their money on computer upgrades.

That said, you are right. Illegal software is a no-no...

from ChuckM:

I don't understand why these people Jones for this software like they do.

“Jones” ??? ... that’s a new one on me ... but I think I get your point ...

maybe it’s because of my line of work, but in my personal experience, the VAST majority of people who are asking for free copies of the Allen-Bradley software have no intentions of “ripping off” the company - or using it for nefarious programming purposes ... their sole reason for wanting access to the software is just to LEARN about it ...

frankly I can’t remember the last time someone asked me how to “obtain” the software for any other purpose ...

usually (INVARIABLY!) it’s someone who recognizes that the more he knows about PLCs, the higher up the employment totem pole he can go ... who can blame him for wanting to move up a notch, make more money, and better support his family? ... so he decides he can scrape up enough cash to buy some used PLC hardware off of eBay ... but the RSLogix software is another VERY expensive matter ...

in my opinion, Allen-Bradley could gain a TREMENDOUS amount of industry goodwill - and eliminate a TREMENDOUS amount of grousing in the ranks - by making some type of “stripped-down” versions of RSLogix5, RSLogix500, and RSLogix5000 available for people who just want to LEARN how the stuff works ...

think about it ... it shouldn’t be too hard for AB to come up with a limited-use version that would allow opening a program with less than “X” number of rungs ... or less than “X” words of memory ... or that would be unable to save or download a program of greater than “X” size ... or something else along those lines ... such a package would be totally useless for someone working on a “real” industrial program ... but it would be fully adequate for someone trying to learn the ropes by poking around on a small PLC system in their basement ...

I can’t see how something like that would cost AB much at all - and I can easily see how it would gain them a great deal ... but then again, that’s just my way of looking at it ...

and before anyone reading this decides to send me a PM with a related “request” - save your time ... I can certainly sympathize with you - but my advice is to try the FREE download version of RSLogix500 - or check with your local tech school ... even if there’s no PLC course available in the school’s catalog, look up the lab technician or a friendly electronics instructor ... sometimes there’s a “forgotten closet” full of unused PLC gear just waiting for someone to dust it off and make some “self-study” use of it ... been there - done that ... (it was room #312 in my case) ...

Last edited:
An even better option than worrying about backups is to use this utility called RSRepair.

If your disk gets damaged, use RSRepair to create a new one. You only need to know the executable name of the software. For example, "RSLogix 500" is "RS500.EXE"

You can get the utility from this link:

http://www.sac.sk/files.php?d=14&p=30

in my opinion, Allen-Bradley could gain a TREMENDOUS amount of industry goodwill - and eliminate a TREMENDOUS amount of grousing in the ranks - by making some type of “stripped-down” versions of RSLogix5, RSLogix500, and RSLogix5000 available for people who just want to LEARN how the stuff works ...

think about it ... it shouldn’t be too hard for AB to come up with a limited-use version that would allow opening a program with less than “X” number of rungs ... or less than “X” words of memory ... or that would be unable to save or download a program of greater than “X” size ... or something else along those lines ... such a package would be totally useless for someone working on a “real” industrial program ... but it would be fully adequate for someone trying to learn the ropes by poking around on a small PLC system in their basement ...

I agree with you Ron. Perhaps something like a few of the SCADA companies have. It's a fully functional package, but will only run for a short period of time, something like 30 minutes. It's a pain to have to stop, shut it down, then start it back up. But, you can play all you want.

CopyQuick (CQmenu)

Copy Quick needs access to the hardware directly for the tricky disk formats. I run mine in a Win98/DOS7.0 full screen mode, and it works fine for most disk formats. No luck with Siemens or some obscure Linux Disks. It never worked properly under XP Home. It works, but either flagged the disk as corrupt, or as unreadable/unverifiable (can't remember now).

Win ME (shudder!) was reputedly the last OS to allow direct hardware access.....

L8R

I seem to recall that AB DOES have a freebie version of RSLogix 500. It was limited to 10 elements/statements/somesuch, and only worked with a MicroLogix 1000.

See AB/Rockwell tech note G49934259

I see we have to sign up for the Knowledgebase @ Rockwell now....

AB has a free download for the 10 Point Micrologix that is the only limitation though. http://support.rockwellautomation.com/webupdates/

Goto that page, agree, on next page select RSLogix 500. The next page will offer the 10 point version of RSL500, enter your name when asked to qualify.

I am the last to bash AB/Rockwell but they sure are not winning any brownie points with their website.

Last edited: