Help Learning GE Machine Edition

I am currently attending school for PLC programming. I have set up a test station with a ML1200 and a GE micro 90. I am trying to learn both AB and GE at the same time. So far I have been able to program both PLC’s, but now we have moved to timers and it is clear there are big differences in programming software. I have looked online and searched this website for posts with no success so far.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on where to find a book or online class specifically designed for GE machine edition? I do have the GE manuals, but talk about confusing! I have wasted a day trying to set up a TON and use it to flash a LED light. It took me 5 minutes with AB.

Any help is appreciated!

Don't try to make the brand you're learning behave like the one you already know. That advice would be true if you already knew GE's approach and were trying to learn AB.

GE doesn't assign specific memory files for timers and counters. Consequently, you won't find the ,EN or the .TT or the .DN bits defined. Neither are there any specific .ACC or .PRE words. GE timers and counters use three consecutive %R addresses (assigned by you when you program the instruction) for each timer and counter. The first of these three addresses corresponds to AB's .ACC. The second corresponds to AB's .PRE. The third contains GE's equivalent of the .EN, .TT and .DN bits, but they're not easily accessible. For the .DN bit, you assign a coil insruction (usually using a %M address although it could be any discrete memory type) as the output of the function.

Instead of a reset instruction, timers that need resetting and all counters have a second node for logic that will reset them. If the logic for both enable and reset is true at the same time, the reset logic will prevail.

I've always found that the reference manual originally written for the old DOS-based Logicmaster software does the best job of describing how the various functions work. The publication number is GFK0467m. You can download it here. Type the publication into the search field. It wo't be the first item that appears following the search but it il be in the list.

http://support.gefanuc.com/support/search/ui.jsp

I have some aids that I have used in my GE classes that may prove helpful to you. Send me a PM with your email address and I'll give you more details.

Last edited:
When using Proficy(Cimplicity) Machine Edition software, it is very helpful to keep the 'Companion' window open. One should begin by selecting "Window > Apply Theme" then select the appropriate theme. Or get in the habit of selecting the object that you need help with and press "F1" this will open the Online-Help in the 'Navigator (IE) Window' for the object selected, there are good explanations and examples there.
To know what tools are available, open the Toolchest.
This software works best with either a "Wide Screen" or dual monitors.

Last edited:
The Series 90 Micro uses traditional addressing. When you create an ONDTR, you need to assign a %R address to it. This is the first of three consecutive %R addresses that the function uses. The other two are automatically assigned. These addresses will be inserted into the variables list as 3-word data array. By default, the software will assign a name equal to the address, but with out the "%". For example, if you select an address of %R50, Machine Edition software will assign a name of "R00050" to it. You, of course, can make this whatever name you like.