help with learning about cranes

I am a newbie in the field of PLC and we came in my company with a project in mobile harbour cranes
But I don't have any experience in this cranes could any body recommend me any documents to
read to learn about the control strategies of cranes ?
I need help with the theory of operation of the cranes and Control strategies
If any one could provide me with this I would be thankful

Shouldn`t the engineer designing the crane tell you how to control it? More importantly, the safeties involved.
They should certainly know the safety features.

Controlling cranes is not really a PLC function. A proper crane control will have algorithms that will prevent the load from swinging after reaching the desired position. Of course one can always train an operator but that takes time and a lot of skill. Meanwhile people like to load and unload cargo quickly and safely without banging in to things or other people.