Help with an Automation Bundle

hansolomx

Hi.
I work for a automation company(ICP Automation).
Right now we have a huge mess with the communication cables here,
so my boss asked me to do a Quote for all the communication cables and adapters that we could use at some point in order to work with PLCs, HMIs, Vision Systems, etc. The major brands that we use are AB, Siemens, Omron, Mitsubishi, Modicon(just with one client for now), and we do not have computers with rs232 anymore so whats a good brand/model for a USB-Serial Adapter?
Also he is going to buy me a new computer for field work, could you help me with some model that you think would do the job?
Ill be running VMs on it from a External Hard Drive.
Well buy the stuff from eBay US, unless you have a online shop with better prices, that will be awesome.
Thanks In Advance.

Don't have time to list every cable for you, but if I have any advice it is to run your VM's off an internal SSD, not an external HD.

We've been using VM's for years, typically have 4-5+ VM's we use regularly among our 6 programmers.

EDIT: And for your laptop, you want an i7 quad core with at least 16GB ram, 120GB SSD for OS, 500GB SSD for VM's.

Last edited:
Don't have time to list every cable for you, but if I have any advice it is to run your VM's off an internal SSD, not an external HD.

We've been using VM's for years, typically have 4-5+ VM's we use regularly among our 6 programmers.

EDIT: And for your laptop, you want an i7 quad core with at least 16GB ram, 120GB SSD for OS, 500GB SSD for VM's.

I wish people here would share their vm images.

great advice on the pc specs by the way

I have had great success w/ a usb to serial adapter that I got from idec.
It's less than 1/2 inch long.
It's blue.

Thanks for the plug Paul

hansolomx, We offer this set below that will cover most PLC's

http://www.plccable.com/complete-pl...rofibus-siemens-allen-bradley-omron-and-more/

They will work with any OS from Windows XP to Windows 10 (also VM's) and we offer a lifetime replacement

If you want to go the eBay side then see this link http://www.ebay.com/itm/280694600654

Thanks ill send it to my boss, it is a very nice price, and for the laptops, Could you guys pls give the Model of the laptops youre using?

Lenovo W530 (it is getting old, but has been running like a dream)

I wish people here would share their vm images.

Sharing VM images gets into some awful messy licensing situations. Depending on your country it might not be illegal, but it sure breaks the license agreement of just about every program installed. Windows, especially.

Sharing VM images gets into some awful messy licensing situations. Depending on your country it might not be illegal, but it sure breaks the license agreement of just about every program installed. Windows, especially.

True, but I just want to open some old **** I wrote.

Could you guys pls give the Model of the laptops youre using?

I still like Dell's but just about anyone will work, just dont be cheap on memory, CPU speed and HD size... VM's will suck up a lot if you are using them and the CPU's you listed it would be a good idea to have one or two running them