Help with ancient Cutler Hammer MPC1

kolyur

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Customer has a machine circa 1988 with a Cutler-Hammer MPC1 controller that he intends to resell. He's OK with changing the PLC but wants to extract the program if at all possible. I'm trying to determine if the memory was lost. At power up, the battery and power lights come on, and the run light flashes continually. It does not seem to actually be in run as none of the outputs function. All I know is that a handheld programmer is required to access the logic, which we don't have.

Can anyone help me diagnose the meaning of the lights, or perhaps point me to a manual for this antique?

Just a guess here, no real facts. Battery light on probably means battery low or dead. Blinking run probably means no program in RAM and that memory is lost. There is a remote possiblity that if there is a PROM or EEPROM, the program might be recoverable from that.
Please take and post as many pictures that you can of all the cards including the CPU. Maybe someone else has some better ideas.

Thanks and I agree with your guess about the blinking run light. I'm uploading photos of the main and remote chassis.

tmp_14165-IMG_20170316_175311063-259380269.jpg tmp_14165-IMG_20170316_1753185471301359277.jpg

Did you ever get this problem solved? If not, please take a close-up pic of the programming port/connector. I will try to help as I have some info on the EX-100 series PLC that "might" be in the same family.
Also, here is a link to some old software that may work, I really don't know.
Link:
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=50546&page=4
See post 48.

No, somehow the customer found someone willing to buy the machine in its existing [non-working] state. So fortunately I didn't have to do any more with it. Thanks for the tip though.