Help with PV550 Notification Tag Problem

TimeFluxCap

This thread started in a different post with a comms problem but as I believe it is not related and I have introduced a short term fix I am looking for some further info.

PV550 talking over a DH+ network to a SLC 5/04.

On the PV there is one Numeric Entry Object. Enter a number between 1 and 99 and the number is stored into a N7 file in the SLC. A Notification tag (B3 bit type) then is sent from the PV to the SLC. Once received a Handshake tag (B3 bit type) is sent from the SLC bag to the PV.

The notification and handshake are part of the PV software for those who have never seen it.

Handshake timeout time from advanced settings is set to 4 secs (default) Update frequency for the above tags is 1 (highest)

Once a number is entered into the object, most of the time there is no problem. However, every now and then an Error 308 - Timeout is set on the PV. Error 308 is failure to receive handshake bit. While monitoring the ladder code I believe this is happening because the Notification bit isnt making it from the PV to SLC therefore the Handshake bit will never come.

Knowledgebase and helpine exausted, has anyone else seen anything like this? I have taken the handshake time out to 8 seconds to see if this eliminates it for now but not ideal. I dont know how else to set notification bit as its a system bit from the PV internals.

The PV should write a one to the Notify tag and wait for the SLC to set the Handshake bit before writing a zero to it. Therefore, the notify tag should stay on, unless the data transmission that was supposed to set it to "1" never came through. Sounds like you have comms problems on the blue hose. Is there a channel diagnostic file assigned to Ch1 in the SLC? If so, you can look at the Channel Status counters to see if there are errors, retries, etc. It's not uncommon to see the counters periodically increment. I have seen situations where, when a certain motor runs, for exapmle, the error counters go nuts for a few seconds indicating noise generated by that particular motor. If there is not a diagnostic file assigned to the channel, you have to switch to program mode to add one. Hope this helps ... Paul C.