Here is an odd one ...0-24vdc control valve

NetNathan

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have been requested to test this proportioning valve for PLC control of flow/pressure.
Dwyer Series SVP Proportioning Solenoid Valve
The flow rate is adjustable across 0-24VDC (@400mA)?? Uhh... that is NOT a popular control signal. ... WHY use it?
Signal converters or conditioners for a 0-24VDC output using 4-20mA or 0-10VDC control input seem to be non existent.
Can't even find an SCR unit at that low of voltage.

https://dwyer-inst.com/media/customuploads/files/F-82.pdf
Granted... the flow rate to voltage curve range sucks.

Any ideas (better than overkill on a programmable 0-30VDC power supply with rs232 comms to plc)?

Last edited:
My first thought was a 24V DC motor controller.

Uses 0-5VDC input and puts out 0-24 with a 24V power source.

Some of these are listed as 5 to 24 or 24 to 90V - depending on the input power.

Unfortunately, they are all listed as PWM and not direct DC output so I'm not sure if they would work or not. If they will then it's basically a 0-5 to 0-24 signal conditioner.

I don't have the details but I used to work at a shop with hot presses heated by hot oil and cooled by chilled water that the temperature control was 2 variable valves to control the oil and water flows and they were 0-24V

Search for solenoid driver, those proportional valve solenoids are usually driven off a PWM signal. The solenoid driver converts a process signal (0-10/4-20) to a PWM output that the driver will limit to required output current.

I just checked the build record for a variable pressure hydraulic press I built a control panel for a while ago.

It had a Bosch variable valve that used 0-10V and the interface card was also 0-10V input

The 0-24VDC is commonly used for Hydraulic proportional control Valves.
WEST make a number of different amplifiers for this purpose, I have recently used these with -10 - +10 analog outputs.
Interesting... West even makes one that uses Profinet..

SUN XMD-0x is a nice controller for these 0-24vdc pwm valves. Would recommend.

Another good choice. I was wondering if PWM would work for valve solenoid control.

The suns have been solid we have them in multiple applications. They are not too expensive and the iPhone app works through Bluetooth which comes in handy when setting them up initially.

I think they have some trending functions for troubleshooting as well inside their app. I’ve been told there is some type of pid functionality as well, but it’s been tested in the past and wasn’t helpful.

We basically just use them as an adapter between our 0-10,4-20 analog command and the valve.

Oh, I would just get something else in to Implement.

This echos spending $5 to save a Nickle.
We are trying to get around using an MKS 248B valve with 1249 solenoid driver. The friggin' 1249B solenoid driver availability is 24 weeks out.