Homework help!

DLMUK

Hi,

I have a question which is about picking the correct size value to regulate the flow of natural gas. I have been given certain values for pressures, temperatures etc. One of them is the flow rate, given as:

Required volumetric flow rate [@ STP] 2.8 x 106 litre per minute

I've never seen it written like this before, is it literally

2.8*106 = 296.8 litres per minute?

thanks,

I'm assuming that's 2.8 x 10^6 litres/min.

Seems to be either scientific or engineering notation. Engineering notation has base ten power to a power of a multiple of three.

It might be a typo if there's no exponent,.

Ex.
10^0 = 1
10^1 = 10
10^2 = 100
10^3 = 1,000
10^6 = 1,000,000

@ STP means at Standard temperature and Pressure.
One mole of gas will occupy a volume of 22.4 liters at STP (Standard Temperature and Pressure. 0 Deg C at one atmosphere. So he wants a flow of 296.8 liters per Min at STP.