how can my IBM Thinkpad link to TP37 via serial port?

notfish

i tried to download my project to an tp37 in protool6.0,the tp37 already in serial trans mode,but the connection couldn't established.

tp37 & cpu315 is mpi linked.

can anyone tall me how to do it? thx!

You cannot download using MPI in serial transfer mode. In order to use MPI, the TP must be in MPI download mode. You cannot get to the MPI download until you program the TP to allow MPI downloads...

Anyway-

You have to create a special serial cable (9 pin shell at the laptop to a 15 pin shell) and use the TP's IF2 port to download your project. The pinout for the cable is in the manual, near the back. The pinout was also posted a while, try doing a search.

-Later

dark knight,i already did according to the manual,but failed,that's why i'm here asking for help.in fact,i have asked some engineers i know,and they said it should work,i don't know what to do now.

Hello, Notfish;
One thing I always check out whenever I have trouble with serial comms : do I have control of the COM port? Since I run both Siemens and Rockwell software on the same computer, I always have to make sure RsLinx is shutdown (manually) before I connect from my Siemens software; RsLinx is a communications predator, it locks up the COM port. This might not be the exact scenario you are running, but another program could be hampering communications on the COM port of your computer.
Cheapest way I found to test the COM port is to setup a serial mouse on it and check whether the system detects it (this involves more work on a Win NT4.0 system, but it is fast on W2K or XP).
At least this way you eliminate one possible gridlock point. Try it and come back to us; we'll see about more solutions if this does not solve the problem.
Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

dchartier£¬thanks for your opinion,but my laptop havn't install rockwell softwares,so it should not be the cause.