Think Pad (IBM)

Dallas,

When you finally get your connection strightened out, you will find that programming with a PC instead of a hand-held like stepping out into the light from groaping around in the darkness.

If you make the cable from parts, take the drawing I posted to Radio Shack. Youll have to buy the cable, the 9 pin connector, and the 6 pin RJ phone jack seperately. You'll also need a RJ crimping tool that will crimp a 6 pin plug. Most are built for 4 pin only so take note of that.

The usb adapter might not be availabe at Radio Shack. If not, If you have a Computer Builders Warehous store near you, go there. They sell everything you'll need.

Have Fun.

The usb adapter will have a USB plug on one end, and a 9 pin serial port on the other end. You will then plug your porgramming cable into the 9 pin connector on the USB adapter, then you will plug the RJ plug on the programming cable into the TOP port of the PLC CPU.

In a previous post I provided a link so that you could purchase both cables from Automation Direct. At this point, it might be easier for you to just call AD and talk to them and get exactly what you need. They are smart people that know what you will need and will be more than willing to sell you the right stuff for no more than you will spend in time money, and effort to buy it at a computer store.

Time is money. Call AD 1-800-633-0405.

Got it

Thanks, sorry for the stupidness....Yes, I know time is money...I need to have this project done. It is a multiple machine sales deal..
I bought the usb to serial adapter cable...now I will purchase the hub for in between. Thanks again.

Last edited:
There's NO HUB INVOLVED! banghead

You will need the following:

1. USB to Cerial Adapter. (I prefer Frosted Flakes) The adapter should come with some configuration software.

2. The AD programing cable. (the one that I posted a picture of before)

My personal opinion: Buy an old laptop with a REAL SERIAL PORT on ebay. My laptop is a 500mhz Winbook with Win 98 SE & 250mb ram. It works fine with all of my PLC programming software. Unless your watching movies, or playing the latest video games you dont need the latest-greatest Laptop.

Last edited:
USB ADAPTER

The light finally came on....I am connecting from the laptop to the usb -adapter and out to the top port of the 250. Man, That was pretty simple...
Why didn't someone say so in the first place.....:)

Last edited: