How do you program an AB Guardmaster 440G Spartan in Studio 5000?

tetcie

Hi All,

On our site, we normally use trapped keys for our safety gates, however, for our newest project, I have been told that we will be using AB Guardmaster 440G Spartan Solenoid Interlock Switch - Power to unlock.

I am fairly new to PLC programming and have never programmed anything safety related, and we haven't used these on site before so its not like I can copy any already written code.

How should I go about programming this? Are there any instructions that should be used for the inputs? - eg: Estop etc.

For the output, the plan is for the operator to press a button on the HMI to be able to open the gate while the system is not in a cycle - so is the rung as simple as: button pressed & system not in cycle --> Output on safety card energized (gate open) - or are there any safety related considerations that need to be made?

Thanks

Is the gate lock to protect people, product, or equipment?

If it's to protect product or equipment, then you can program it simply with a regular PLC output.

If it's to protect people, though, you need to do a proper risk assessment to determine the needed performance level. For instance, if you have a high speed cutting spindle or a flywheel that has to be stopped to be safe, you need a safety-rated device to verify zero motion before unlocking the door. For spindles, I've controlled the door unlock coils with a PLC output that's wired through the contacts of a safety-rated back-EMF monitor that makes sure the motor is stopped.

It all comes back to your risk assessment. Ultimately, you're responsible to make the machine safe. I suggest you bring in an expert to consult on this.