How long a SLC program can last w/o batt/EEPROM/power up?

ckchew666

Hi,

Has anyone check how long a SLC program (5/04) can last in the CPU without battery & EPROM?

The PLC is not power on.

One of our customer tried and it last for 4 days....and still counting. We go online and upload the program every 2 days and it's still working fine!

Is the capacitor is the backup source for the SLC5/04?

Any feedback...?

ckchew666,

This is what Allen-Bradley says about the capacitor:

The SLC 5/03, 5/04 and 5/05 processors have a capacitor that provides at least 30 minutes of battery back-up while the battery is disconnected. Data in RAM is not lost if the battery is replaced within 30 minutes.
I have found that the capacitor will last a lot longer than 30 minutes. I have had a PLC 5/03 out for about 3 hours. This was the time to move a machine from one plant to another, but then we discovered that the PLC battery was missing, but the program was still in place. Now you are saying it can go 4 days. It will be dependent on temperature, humidity, and the quality of the particular capacitor to some extent.

Last edited:
ckchew666 said:
Hi,

Has anyone check how long a SLC program (5/04) can last in the CPU without battery & EPROM?

The PLC is not power on.

One of our customer tried and it last for 4 days....and still counting. We go online and upload the program every 2 days and it's still working fine!

Is the capacitor is the backup source for the SLC5/04?

Any feedback...?

Does your processor stay powered-up?
If you're going online every 2 days, then it must be powered at least that often.
Power to the processor will recharge the capacitor and let it retain its memory as well.

As soon as you lose power to an AB Control Logix and you dont have a battery the program is history! The battery will last with L55M12 for 99 days at 25 deg C.

I just had to look at those numbers for a job.

jimbo3123 said:
Does your processor stay powered-up?
If you're going online every 2 days, then it must be powered at least that often.
Power to the processor will recharge the capacitor and let it retain its memory as well.

Hi,

Yes, the SLC 5/03 CPU is power down before we go online to check & upload the program.