getting a long ASCII message into a SLC 504

eccan

Supporting Member
Hello All
Here is my challenge. I have a leak tester that sends ASCII data out continually during it's test. At the end, it sends the test name and results. All I need in my PLC is this test name & results. Is there a way to constantly dump the ASCII buffer to a string until the message is finished? I tried toggling two ASCII reads (ARD) until the data stops coming, but don't always get the entire message.
Here is what the data looks like at the end (from hyperterminal)- the Gž³Cˆƒä< data is streaming throughout the test. I can parse out the results (WATER, date, time, etc) if I can just capture the last of the date.

G›³Cˆƒä< Gœ³Cˆƒä< G
³Cˆƒä< GŸ³Cˆƒä< G ³Cˆƒä< G¡³Cˆƒä< G¢³Cˆƒä< G£³
C@HŽ< G¤ìö²Cˆƒä< G¥³Cˆƒä< G¦³Cˆƒä< G§³Cˆƒä< G¨³Cˆƒä< G©³
Cˆƒä< M000,01,02,02 WATER ,06-08-2010,14:32:03,+000358.,+0000.03,AC

You might think about using the BASIC module. You can use 'GET' until the 'M' appears (if that is a guaranteed first character) then switch over to getting a line.