RSLinx/RSLogix and KEPWare not getting along together

DarrellK

Long time lurker that usually finds answers on plctalk.net using search, but not this time.
I have a conveyor control system with three MicroLogix 1500s connected to the plant network through three 1761-NET-ENI/Ds (V3.22) and three PanelView C1000 HMIs. Everything is connected with Ethernet. HMI-1 and HMI-2 pull data from PLC-1 and PLC-2. HMI-3 and PLC-3 while still connected to the network, only talk to each other. I connect to all 3 PLCs with my laptop running RSLogix 500 through WI-FI. This makes it very convenient to troubleshoot problems over thousands of feet of conveyor and not be tied to a control cabinet with a short cable.
I recently added a KEPWare connection to PLC-2 to log some data. Since I did that, RSLinx will not connect to PLC-2. If I shut down the KEPWare, RSLinx will connect again but then KEPWare will not. It’s one or the other, but not both.
The 1761-NET-ENI manual says it will allow 6 connections. HTTPing into the 1761-NET-ENI shows the IP addresses connected of HMI-1, HMI-2 and ether my laptop or the KEPWare server (again, not both).
Any ideas to get these two to play nice with each other?

You probably need to dig deeper into the ability of the 1761-NET-ENI, it allows 6 connections, but two are out-going, 2 incoming and 2 either/or. Depending on how the software is trying to connect and allocate messges to your PLC, the ENI is probably the bottleneck.

I had a similar problem years ago, it was a VB6 custom HMI talking to a micro through the ENI, if I tried to run the HMI at the same time I tried to go online with the processor I would have problems. The HMI used some OPC plugin to communicte to the PLC, I'm sure there was some configuration that dictated how many connections it could make to the PLC but it was never worth the time to find a better solution. I just shutdown the HMI anytime I had to make program changes and moved on with life.

I would bet on this scenerio before Kepware/RSLinx conflicts.