how many ppr will a 1024 cycle 2-channel incremental encoder provide

1024 encoder will provide 1024 pulses per channel.
Normally channels shifted 90deg, so you will get 2 positive and 2 negative fronts per pulse or total 2048+2048 "fronts" per revolution.

Normally channels labeled A B. Each channel is most likely differential signal A+/A- and B+/B-

Maybe to explain a little further, a 1024ppr encoder will give you 1,024 pulses per revolution (PPR). If it is dual channel, then you have two 1024 ppr outputs with one channel positioned so its pulses are delayed one quarter of the distance between the first channels pulses.

With the two channels offset that way, when the encoder rotates in one direction the A channel pulses lead the B channel pulses. When the encoder rotates in the other direction, the B pulses lead the A pulses. That way, the drive or plc can detect rotation direction as well as speed.

Clever, isn't it!

I think this could happen

hi
1024 PPR encoder will provide 1024 ppr/channel if you detect either the rising edge or the falling edge of the pulse.
If your instrument (PLC, Counter,....etc) could detect bothe the rising and the falling edge of the pulse you will get 2048 ppr.
:confused:

Aw, come on, guys. Have a heart. Why make this so needlessly complex.

For Pete's sake, the original poster asked about pulses per revolution, not edges up and down and for sure not both channels combined.

The simple answer is 1024 pulses per revolution in each channel.